What do you do with your knives that you no longer use?

I’ve sold most the ones I don’t use, all the others will eventually go to my son.

I too have been thinking about getting something to store my knives in (although I'm not necessarily in dire need of it yet). I was thinking of either the spyderpac or a fishing box type situation. If anyone knows any good methods they want to share let me know!

I had the same dilemma when my collection began to grow. I went from the 18-knife Spyderpac to buying pluck foam and making my nightstand drawer my knife drawer lol. I get a lot of eye-rolls from the wifey....

73419428-AFF0-4472-92A5-951578B516D8.jpeg

I just put it in a old cigar box until I need that blade combination (a Marlin Spike, for example) again.
If I buy a knife and don't like it for whatever reason, I give it away.

I've sold some and given away others, but mostly the hoard just continues to grow.

Converted an old glass door gun cabinet into a display case at the end of the hallway

I too have been thinking about getting something to store my knives in (although I'm not necessarily in dire need of it yet). I was thinking of either the spyderpac or a fishing box type situation. If anyone knows any good methods they want to share let me know!
I bought three MTech storage folders that hold 12 knives each, up to 5 inches handle length for a princely sum of $10 CAD each. Bought them from the big river site two years ago and they've still held together just fine.

Oh and should have added that I don't sell any knives, as I don't buy/sell from/to individuals, too much hassle, but it has encouraged me to be more discerning as to what I now buy.

Last edited:
Depends on the knife, but in general they simply are put into my knife tub that is full of knives that I seldom look at. The tubs are not just a pile of knives; they are protected some some degree regardless.

I would probably throw away a really beat up knife that I no longer want to use. An example of such might be a Vic SAK.

I give some away, and I have been thinking of selling a few that don't get carried much. I have kind of a display where the knives pile up.

This morning I actually made a want list of 10 knives to purchase. I was contemplating buying a knife pouch to stash them in, or maybe a spyderpac. I need a way to keep them together and organized. Keeps me happy and the wife too.

Anyone have any good knife pouch suggestions besides the Spyderpac and the ZT 18 folder holder? Right now I'm leaning towards the ZT one.
I used to keep my knives in multi-knife pouches, Marcus, until my collection grew too large and I now have a couple glass-top-plus-two-drawer boxes my son gave me and a dedicated piece of furniture for all my knives and knife stuff. This Boker 12-slip "Knife Vault" is the one I like the best and still use for transporting--under 40 bucks at Knife Center and BHQ to name a couple. Also comes in a smaller 6-slip model.

SElrzZm.jpg

rMz01Q9.jpg

I used to keep my knives in multi-knife pouches, Marcus, until my collection grew too large and I now have a couple glass-top-plus-two-drawer boxes my son gave me and a dedicated piece of furniture for all my knives and knife stuff. This Boker 12-slip "Knife Vault" is the one I like the best and still use for transporting--under 40 bucks at Knife Center and BHQ to name a couple. Also comes in a smaller 6-slip model.

SElrzZm.jpg

rMz01Q9.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up ordering the 6 pack. Depending on how I like it I may order another the same or a 12 slot version like yours. I don't have nearly as many knives as you:D51vR2nPj+ZL._AC_SY400_-321x261.jpg

I generally keep them all ( 300 or so , mostly fixed) , but when I am talking to someone who is looking for a knife , I suggest to buy one of mine.
Realistically , I've only sold about 5 in the last 20 years. I am a lousy salesman. leaving a ton of knives behind when I'm gone.

I normally give them to friends/family or in the case of cheap machetes and such, cut them up for misc scrap.

I don't really own anything so high end that I would be sad to give it away and I tend to be picky so knives I don't love don't get any use. After they start collecting dust, I see no reason to own them. The rare exception are ones with sentimental value. I've gotten knives from my grandfather that he owned as a kid, a knife from my dad I got when I was young, ect. These things will never leave me if I have anything to say about it.

Those are what I use. I have two of the 6 pack version. One for EDC knives and the other for collectables.
How do you like them? I read they are well made but some people complained about the fuzz getting in their knives.

First world problems.

I sell them or trade them here Selling and trading here is so easy and enjoyable. It’s like the big bay used to be when I first started selling there many many many years ago. It used to be you would post some text with the item and the shipping and payment details and your done. Now on the big bay it’s like a real estate transaction with all the forms and check-boxes. Selling and trading on BF is a genuinely enjoyable experience and not a hassle at all.

Pic is my current storage

9916DEA1-951C-4149-AD4D-FC808D8E3C75.jpeg

I've sold a few, given a few away and tossed a whole bunch in the drawer. I disassembled one and left it in a box because I lost parts for it. But I'm trying to quit buying more knives, and remind myself if I want a new one, I can just make, but only fixed blades. If I really want a new folder, I often find myself modding one I already own. At this point I don't think I own a single one that has not been touched by a grinder (aside from one I am planning to give away next time I see a certain individual).

B Banter 247 : I greatly enjoyed your video! You sneaked a few "ums" and "uhs" in there but they were hardly noticeable, and your overall cadence and sureness in what you were saying made them almost imperceptible. In fact, I was going to compliment you on your lack of ums and uhs, but I re-listened to the first two minutes, just to be sure, and was surprised to find over half a dozen of them. You camouflage them well! Too many YouTubers have long drawn out "ums" or "uhs" followed by pauses while they struggle to find their next phrase. You don't fit that description by a long shot. The knife in your video was fantastic, and you were definitely on point with everything you said about it (in my opinion), especially regarding the suggestion to round the point on the harpoon. I was very happy to be your 52nd like. If I were one to subscribe to YouTube channels (sorry!), yours would be one I'd subscribe to.

I've sold a few, given a few away and tossed a whole bunch in the drawer. I disassembled one and left it in a box because I lost parts for it. But I'm trying to quit buying more knives, and remind myself if I want a new one, I can just make, but only fixed blades. If I really want a new folder, I often find myself modding one I already own. At this point I don't think I own a single one that has not been touched by a grinder (aside from one I am planning to give away next time I see a certain individual).

B Banter 247 : I greatly enjoyed your video! You sneaked a few "ums" and "uhs" in there but they were hardly noticeable, and your overall cadence and sureness in what you were saying made them almost imperceptible. In fact, I was going to compliment you on your lack of ums and uhs, but I re-listened to the first two minutes, just to be sure, and was surprised to find over half a dozen of them. You camouflage them well! Too many YouTubers have long drawn out "ums" or "uhs" followed by pauses while they struggle to find their next phrase. You don't fit that description by a long shot. The knife in your video was fantastic, and you were definitely on point with everything you said about it (in my opinion), especially regarding the suggestion to round the point on the harpoon. I was very happy to be your 52nd like. If I were one to subscribe to YouTube channels (sorry!), yours would be one I'd subscribe to.

I appreciate the constructive feedback, and the kind words. I’m very intentional in trying to use time for quality and cut out filler, so that particular piece resonated a lot. I certainly understand, and respect, your choice to not subscribe.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out, and for the time and intention invested in your comment here.

Depends, but in general, they get sold. If there is some sentimental value, then I keep them, there are a few of those. Overall though, I'm doing my best not to hoard crap because its too easy to do, and I don't want that to be my focus in life.

I’m very intentional in trying to use time for quality and cut out filler

It showed, big time.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out, and for the time and intention invested in your comment here.

And thank you for the great review of a knife I might never have heard of otherwise!

Some of my knives are duplicates, like versions of the same knife with upgraded steel. In those cases, the older version usually goes to one of my sons. Now that I think about it, I don’t recall any of them ever buying a knife on their own. They’re all almost 50 years old, have wives & kids of their own & I’m still giving them guns & knives. Sheesh! :)

Back