• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

What do you have in your HEST?

Forgive a newbie, but what do you guys carry in your HEST handle.

Just got mine today and wondering what (if anything) I could / should put in there.

Last edited:
Here's a pic by TTD,
IMG_3342.jpg

Money is always the universal survival item.

Well, anything valuable anyway and money, well depending one what currency you have. I doubt Russian Ruples do much good in outback or in Alaska... Some adventurer said he has two one carat diamonds surgically planted inside his skin. So even if he is robbed and left but naked into country, he could buy stuff, once he cuts those diamonds out...

A few strike anywhere matches and a tiny firesteel, all wrapped in plastic.

3 fishing hooks (wrapped in artificial sinew)
3 sinkers
fishing line
firesteel
and as much extra artificial sinew as I could fit in on top of it all

I got a bit too much ambient light combined with the flash. There is a miniature ferrocerium rod under it all. This is about as much as you can get into one of them without a slide rule. :D

mvc669x.jpg

mvc670x.jpg

txtony - what pouch is that you have mounted on the tek-loc?
nice way to carry a simple psk set up!

I don't have a HEST (might soon'ish though)

I've actually thoughts about this a bit...but I have trouble coming up with items that make sense to me. Most stuff that would fit is already in my other gear...probably already with backups.

It seems like something really important should go in there...but not something you'll need frequently or quickly...because getting to it is inconvenient.

Ok so something important enough to hide? If anyone is going through my gear to confiscate/steal/find secrets are they gonna let me keep the knife anyway?

Money is always the universal survival item.

I keep reading that granddads say that you should always carry a knife, some string and a bit of money and you can make your way out of almost anything. :)

So I reckon a good bit of paracord on the sheath, some bills in the handle and the HEST should see me safe to start with - and then I'll just get a kit like
texastonydobbs for when I go further afield.

It seems like something really important should go in there...but not something you'll need frequently or quickly...because getting to it is inconvenient.

A Condom! (Those Magnums are a tight fit, but one will go).

Reckon I might get a bit flustered - want those frequently and quickly! :D

I can't see a need to keep money inside the handle of my knife. That's what my wallet is for. I have snare wire and some lint packed in. I keep a flint in my wallet so.

6 matches cut down
cotton tinder
3 fish hookes
thread
sinker
4 paper clips

It only closes if you hold your tongue just right and stand on one foot.:p

I keep a few cut down stormproof matches, a small flint, and 2 cotton firestarters.

Sure, all my other gear has these items and better, but the idea is I'll have them if I wind up with only my knife on me. I'm frequently away from my pack. I'm never without a knife

I'm sorry to spam here, but one of these days someone will find a way to put an Izula in that space. Even if it means inventing non existent technology to actually shrink it a bit more (ok if that does happen, someone might opt to put a Junglas in, but that's a bit far fetched)

My HEST is most often carried in urban areas, so I have cash and a small printed list of emergency numbers, and the info for a pre-paid calling card.

On the back of the sheath is a spare car key, which I actually got to use last week, as I locked my keys in my car! :D

I'm sorry to spam here, but one of these days someone will find a way to put an Izula in that space. Even if it means inventing non existent technology to actually shrink it a bit more (ok if that does happen, someone might opt to put a Junglas in, but that's a bit far fetched)

Hahaha!

I was just thinking about putting one of those little derma-safe folding razors in there.

I can just imagine my friend's reaction "So your knife has a secret compartment with....another knife in it?" :D

Actually probably a better idea would be one of the same company's saws, or maybe one of those wire ones.

Back