What do you think of a deep carry pocket clip? Does it matter to you while you choosing a knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Kizer Cutlery, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Kizer Cutlery

Kizer Cutlery Follow our Instagram: kizercutlery_inc Moderator

Jun 24, 2013
    The discussion is about the deep carry pocket clip. When you are choosing a knife, does it matter? Such as Would you still pick the knife you love with normal non-deep carry design pocket clip?
    kizer_inc_104418985_258798448747645_8657026437711397052_n.jpg

2. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    It really depends on the clip design. If 1/3+ of the knife sticks out of my pocket, I don't like it. Especially on a knife with a 3"+ blade.

If it's a design with a readily available aftermarket deep carry clip, it doesn't matter much.

I think my two current favorite clips are the one on my Massdrop Gent Select and Twist Tighe.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Kizer Cutlery likes this.
  3. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    I care more about how it fits the knife and feels in hand. A deep carry clip that stands off the handle half an inch and makes it uncomfortable to hold can really kill a design.

Besides, they should all just have wire clips.

4. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I prefer a deep carry clip. But not having one isn't a deal killer.
    As long as a clip fulfills the basic need of retaining the knife and does not interfere with gripping the knife, it's OK.

timberweasel and Kizer Cutlery like this.
  5. steelhead seeker

steelhead seeker

Aug 1, 2014
    Disagree. I hate wire clips. I've heard of people having some issues with them bending easily or coming loose because they only use 1 screw but admittedly I've never had an "issue" with them. My hate for them is purely aesthetically. As for deep carry clips, I like them a lot. Lynch clips in particular are my favorite aftermarket clips. As mentioned above I definitely dont want to much knife sticking out of the pocket.

6. WhitleyStu

WhitleyStu Keep'em scary sharp!!! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 8, 2006
    I put MXG deep carry pocket clips on all my EDC Hinderers (Slippy, XM-18s and Fulltrack). I lost a Spyderco Para 2 when on the tractor, but fortunately found it later. Don't want to loose a Hinderer that way. I wish the design for deeper carry was used by more knife manufacturers.

Kizer Cutlery and K.O.D. like this.
  7. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I admire how Leatherman has a clip that can be changed for a loop with a lock that does not need screws.

The possibilities become interesting as you could have a deep carry clip, normal carry, keychain loop, or whatever else that could be dreamt up, and easily change them without tools.

Kizer Cutlery and jfk1110 like this.
  8. R.c.s

R.c.s Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Yes or maybe a clip that can slide up or down . And can be fixed in place to suit your own personal preference :)

Kizer Cutlery and MolokaiRider like this.
  9. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    Doesn't matter. All my spydercos have standard clips, aside from my para 3 lightweight. And I'd get rid of the wire clip if I could.

As long as the clip looks OK and functions well, I don't care.

Ippon98 and allenC like this.
  10. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    I personally prefer deep carry, for the most part. However, as others have said, I pick a knife for other reasons and the clip is one of the least important to me (again personally).

Ippon98 and ROCK6 like this.
  11. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I like deep or at least deep-ish carry. I hate when a pocket clip seems like it's stuck on as an afterthought rather than designed with consideration for the clip, how it'll fit in the hand, carry in the pocket, and slide in and out of the pocket.

Ippon98 and MolokaiRider like this.
  12. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    For me it all depends on the knife handle! Some handles are just right and comfy along with being easily withdrawn from my pocket! I've had a.few that just weren't good either in hand or taking it out of my pocket or both! When the stars do align and the knife and clip are comfy and also smoothly draw.from the.pocket it's nice!!!! Unfortunately.I've found more.often than not I'm not happy with one or both gripes I have!!

13. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Deep carry pocket clip is not important to me. The pocket clip, tip up, and tip down is not that important to me. The majority of the time (I'd guess 2/3s) my knife is in my right cargo pocket. I tend to wear Carhartt or Dickies cargo pants/shorts at work and outside of work. I like cargo pockets.

Rarely do I ever need quick access to my knife. I don't find getting the knife out of a cargo pocket a hassle.

Heirphoto likes this.
  14. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    I prefer a deep carry clip. The clip is important but it is one part of the equation. A knife also needs to feel good in hand and have other qualities. If a knife is otherwise great, I can accept a minor hot spot to have the deep carry clip. Of course, I want every knife to be perfect. :D

15. RealVendetta

RealVendetta Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Very much prefer deep carry. At least having the aftermarket option is a requirement for MOST of my purchases.

ROCK6 likes this.
  16. Zuchus

Zuchus Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I like them a lot, but the design must have a recessed screw so there isn’t that big bump to snag on my pocket edge. I really like a smooth action when I slip in in my pocket and when I take it out.

Chronovore and ROCK6 like this.
  17. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip. Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016

18. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Doesn't matter to me. Normal clip is a bit easier for me to grab.

Ippon98 and Dcdavis like this.
  19. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    As long as the clip works and I can easily draw from my pocket, I don't care whether it is deep or not.
    I usually take the clips off anyway and just belt pouch carry...except when I'm wearing my hospital scrubs, then I prefer a clip since I don't wear a belt with the scrubs.

20. Stairway

Stairway

Apr 16, 2020
    Although I prefer a dcpc, the clip type is way down the list of priorities when choosing a knife.