What do you Think of Buck knives ?

One more thing about my Vanguard. The fit and finish is absolutely perfect. After reading comments recently about a $300 knife with asyemetrical grind lines, I can only shake my head.

Buck made me a $45 knife I can inspect with a micrometer and come out smiling. QC for them seems to be Job 1.

As stated by all the other posts,Buck knives represent an excellent value in their price range. Their management has set a very high standard for class in the industry that is being followed by most of the newer knife companies.

Buck knives is the best known knife brand in the world!

With that in mind they have the ability and the capability to make history once again.

The Buck 110 is the best known knife of the 20th century.. The question is can Buck continue this tradition into the next Milenium?

I think Buck can do it but it will take some work and it will take about 3 weeks of me being at the El Cajon facility
smile.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Turber (edited 09 October 1999).]

Buck to me is the best example of a mid-range production knife. Most of their designs have been solidly tested over time and I am confident that they will not let me down. The steel is not the best but it works.

About the only negatives I have ever heard about Buck is that edge holding is a little less than we would like and resharpening requires some effort. None-the-less Buck is my benchmark for classifying production knives as high end, low end, or mid range.

Some great comments regarding the Buck knives. I have a few too.

Some of Bucks lower end knives are just that. Low end, wouldn't touch 'em for free. That being said, they have hit the jack pot on a few, too. Knives such as the Buck 110 and the 532 come to mind. Excellent lockbacks, great lines and just beautiful knives. Mike should have a contest of the best knife of the century and I bet the 110 would win.

Now with the Edge 2000 series, using the stropping wheel, the knives are sharper and much easier to use.

Also, Pete's Custom Shoppe are putting out some kick ass customized knives. They're also put together by a staff that make those 110's some of the tighter and most secure knives I have ever had. I got a 110 in a rivetless finger groove asian buffalo horn, ni si bolsters, engraving and BG42. What a knife! I find myself carrying it everyday and staring at it when I go to the bathroom.

Buck does some great work and I am always on the look out for a unique Buck knife. There are many out there.

I would like to hear Larry Oden and John Foresman comment in this thread. They have tons of experience with Buck.

Regards,

Never owned a bad Buck. I broke the tip off one of the fixed blades once. I was using it as a throwing knife and kept sticking it in telephone poles. It would sink in pretty deep and I had to wiggle it back and forth to get it out. One day the tip just snapped.
This is the same buck that a friend of mine grabbed while we were out camping to roast marshmallows with. We were both "under the influence" and didn't realize at first what was going on. When I suddenly realized he was roasting my knife over a fire, he realized it too and we must have laughed hard for an hour. Don't know what happened to that knife. Lost it when I got out of the service.

My best whittling knifes are Bucks and Kabars. I used to have a hard time sharpening Bucks until crock sticks came along. Never had a problem with one since.

I've got a BuckLite that ends up in my winter coat pocket probably more than any other knife. It's a lot of knife for being so light. Can't remember the last time I sharpened it and I just picked it up and shaved a few hairs off the arm.

Never did buy a 110 though. I bought a Schrade LB 7 instead. I like the stainless steel pin that the buck lacked (guys always liked to get the brass pivot pin in the 110 worn a little so they could open it faster), plus the really tough laminated handle. Wonderful knife but it's still a Buck copy.

------------------
Hoodoo

Cogita tute

[This message has been edited by Hoodoo (edited 10 October 1999).]

Anyone have a picture of the Buck 110 they can scan? I'm pathetic, I've never seen one...

Here's Buck's data base. Click on Buck 110 and type "110" in the model number.Buck 110

------------------
~Greg~

[This message has been edited by Kodiak PA (edited 11 October 1999).]

Buck is still one of my favorite companies after 20 + years. I like their pocketknives, especially the 700 series (birchwood handles, extremely solid), and the 500 series (drop point, slim lockbacks, birchwood handles). The fit and finish on mine are near perfect, and they cut like crazy.
I got my 110 for $32 (actually 29.99 plus tx) at Sports Authority. That is a steal. Lots of people complain about the Buck 420HC steel being "crappy," but it does work very well. I still remember back when there was only "carbon steel" and "stainless steel" in knives. Buck's 420HC of today may not be BG-42 or such, but back in the day, it would pass for a very high-performance steel. As mentioned in a previous post, people have existed and survived with knives since well before the "steel revolution" of the 1990s, with steel in their knives most of us would say is "crap." I personally like the performance of Buck's steel, and don't mind the occasional resharpening of it either. All steel needs resharpening sometime anyway.

I believe Buck is world-famous, BUT is not number one worldwide...that would be the Swiss Army knife, esp. the Victorinox brand. (in Asia I saw SAKs on sale, but NO Bucks where I went). But the fact that some of us here can call Buck a "mid-level manufacturer" shows how lucky we are cutlery-wise. In many countries all they have available locally ARE crappy knives made in Pakistan or China if they're lucky.

That said, Buck is still near the top of the heap in this land of upscale knife manufacturers, and certainly the one that really popularized the locking folder for all time.
Jim

I own a buck xlti and have used it for several years. It has a great feel, a strong lock and an overall solid construction. I dropped it on concrete once and broke the tip. I sent it to them and they replaced it within 10 days. So their customer service is fantastic. For the most part, buck knives are generally well-built but man do I ever hate their steel! I can't get a good edge on that thing without spending an eternity on the stone and then another eternity with a sharpening steel rod. Then, after all my hard work, it seems like the knife's dull after opening my bills with it!

Back