Recommendation? What do you think of this combo

I picked up this plumb Connecticut and handle a while back. Both are in excellent shape. Head is 3.5. Handle is 26”. I have never used a full sized head on this short of a handle and am wondering if I would be better off putting a longer handle on it. Seems like it may be difficult to buck safely and comfortably with a 26 inch handle.

I say use the current handle but leave enough wedge sticking out so that you can pull the wedge out and take the head off if you don't like the length.

Put a worn toe 3 pound Connie on a 26 inch handle,it took some getting used to but I like it.Depends on what you want it for I guess a heavy head on a short handle is dangerous if you can’t pay attention to what your doing.

I've got a full size rixford on a 26".
Its pretty nice at times, a little on the short side but I'm glad I have it.
RmY3YPB.jpg

I think you'd be better off with a longer handle, but it depends on your size and what you plan to use the axe for. Unless you specifically need a close quarters axe for some reason I would hang it on at least a 30" handle. That's a good length for bucking.

If you plan to use it primarily as a splitting axe then I would suggest at least a 32" handle.

It's a beautiful haft. Perfect in every way. I got a box of 12 NOS, half 28" cruiser and half 26" singles. Every one in the box was as good as this.
I guess that's the way it used to be, when you paid for premium handles.
How long are the eyes on the cruisers? I'm just curious.

I picked up this plumb Connecticut and handle a while back. Both are in excellent shape. Head is 3.5. Handle is 26”. I have never used a full sized head on this short of a handle and am wondering if I would be better off putting a longer handle on it. Seems like it may be difficult to buck safely and comfortably with a 26 inch handle.
I got off topic a little bit commenting on Muleman77's link haft. But if it were me I'd wait for a smaller head to put on the 26". I don't think I'd use it to be honest? Maybe there's a situation where you'd need a short haft but i can't think of one. I'd just bring a smaller axe. It's kind of an in between length in my opinion. Better for a boys axe or anything around 2-1/2#. Did you already hang it Maine20?

It's odd for this question to come up right now as I am making a 26" haft to hang a TT Kelly Perfect 3 1/2 Jersey. I won the head in the 1975 Virginia state loggers rodeo and never used it. My reasons are that I used a Hytest 5lb with a 26" haft in the standing block and spring board competitions and liked it. You can get more hits in a shorter time with a shorter haft than with a 32". Now if I could have only one haft, it would be 32". Some other uses would be when felling and bucking in tight quarters which sometimes happens in a tight growth stand of trees, and very useful in topping.

Last edited:
You're pretty lucky then.

And it fit a full sized eye too, that's something I don't think you can buy today.

It's a boys axe eye handle actually. I've put a few full size heads on new ones as well. It's a good way to get a slim 28" with no work. You have to carve your own bigger wedge, and be a little discerning about the handle you pick since some have undersized tongues even for the boys axe eye. When you put them down on the shoulder there's plenty of wood to fit the bottom right.

How long are the eyes on the cruisers? I'm just curious.

Not sure off the top of my head, but they are definitely for cruiser eyes, not full size.

It's odd for this question to come up right now as I am making a 26" haft to hang a TT Kelly Perfect 3 1/2 Jersey. I won the head in the 1975 Virginia state loggers rodeo and never used it. My reasons are that I used a Hytest 5lb in the standing block and spring board competitions and liked it. You can get more hits in a shorter time with a shorter haft than with a 32". Now if I could have only one haft, it would be 32". Some other uses would be when felling and bucking in tight quarters which sometimes happens in a tight growth stand of trees, and very useful in topping.

Some of these are similar reasons to why I made this one.

I got off topic a little bit commenting on Muleman77's link haft. But if it were me I'd wait for a smaller head to put on the 26". I don't think I'd use it to be honest? Maybe there's a situation where you'd need a short haft but i can't think of one. I'd just bring a smaller axe. It's kind of an in between length in my opinion. Better for a boys axe or anything around 2-1/2#. Did you already hang it Maine20?
No I haven’t hung it yet, I am leaning towards making a new longer handle for the plumb and hanging a smaller head (maybe a Hudson Bay) on the 26 inch handle.

It's odd for this question to come up right now as I am making a 26" haft to hang a TT Kelly Perfect 3 1/2 Jersey. I won the head in the 1975 Virginia state loggers rodeo and never used it. My reasons are that I used a Hytest 5lb in the standing block and spring board competitions and liked it. You can get more hits in a shorter time with a shorter haft than with a 32". Now if I could have only one haft, it would be 32". Some other uses would be when felling and bucking in tight quarters which sometimes happens in a tight growth stand of trees, and very useful in topping.
When I first saw this I though it looked a bit like a competition axe. I am sure it varies but is there a “standard” weight/length for a racing axe?

I've shown this one recently, but its a 3lb Flint Edge on a 26.5" handle

I'd say try it and see if you like it. To you can always change it later it doesn't suit you.

Seems like it would be good for close in limbing work, a wide heavy head should clip limbs off pretty well.

about the racing axe question - seems like I've seen 31" frequently for racing handles.

Back