What do you think of this one as a thrower?

Looks nice. :thumbup: Hopefuly it has a thick and sturdy tip if you are going to throw it.

I've never messed with the no spin technique so I can't comment on that.

But I will say that I have thrown a lot of knives, and when it comes to pinned on handle scales like that, I managed to break every mannor of pinned handle right off my knives. Not a big deal on a full tang blade like that since you can just make or rig up a new handle yourself. Or you can wrap the handle with grip tape to help protect it it a little. -Just be aware that throwing is pretty hard on knives, so expect there to be damage at some point. :)

Nice but I can see throwing a $250 kinfe.

Wow, I didn't see the price. That is pretty costly for a dedicated thrower!

Maybe badhammer is simply a wealthy fellow? ...or perhaps he is new to knife throwing, and does not realise yet just how hard throwing is on a knife.

...Then again, I've seen people who use multie hundred dollar Busse's as throwers. But then there is the fact that Busse's are very, very tough, and have a no questions asked lifetime warrenty too. :)

Personally, I agree that it isn't worth the price to be throwing it. I honestly don't agree with using it for that.

It was a hypothetical question anyway. I've been looking for a Bowie to throw. I picked up a piece of crap one for a dumb reason and wound up looking for real quality Bowies.

That one happens to have a finger guard on the sharp side but not the safe side, which made me think about it as a possible thrower.

I don't have one and don't have $250 to burn on one anyway.

Nice knife, though. I would like to have one.

I MIGHT grind the safe side guard off my Ka Bar so I can throw it... that's a $40 knife and as I recall the steel is kind of soft.

Just curious, why a Bowie?

I'm a total noob to throwing, so I'm going off instinct and rumor on this.

Bowies have a heavy end and a light end, so they kind of lend themselves to spinless throwing.

The other reason is that Bowies are the knives of my people. I could just as easily pick an Arkansas Toothpick, but a Bowie is an identifiably American knife.

The knives I have to throw today are a pair of cold steel bushmans and a pair of cold steel balanced throwers patterned after some 1950s throwers.

I could go with the bowie bushman and split the difference, which would be interesting. I'm afraid of throwing the bushman right now because of the rebounds. I had one come right back at me today. It was a balanced thrower, I slapped it away, no harm done. Not sure it would have been the same story with a bushman. Those things are SHARP.

Yeah, rebounds are fun in their own right. Learned to catch them after a while but I started at 10 years old with some dull ones. Be careful though, caught a few cuts later on.

For the throw you want they don't do bad at all, I honestly suggest finding something less like a combat bowie first. I usually throw cheap knives I buy at swap meets. You can find thick enough single piece steel knives that are often unbalanced.

Then again others may or may not agree, I am not the most experienced especially with Bowies, never liked them.

You're in southern Oregon? I'm in middle Oregon on the coastal range. I'll be down for the Shakespeare festival this summer if anything good's on the stage.

What do you mean by a combat bowie?

After today I was thinking about wearing a leather jacket, wearing leather gloves... I have motorcycle helmets and hard hats... maybe I should gear up for the first month or two when I practice. Thick leather boots and carharts...

A friend of mine owns a machine shop in Eugene, I was thinking about asking him to make me a set of Jarts out of rebar and arrow heads. I heard of somebody that had a set made that would punch straight through 3/4 plywood with the greatest of ease.

Any suggestions for me? I'm totally on my own, looking up youtube videos and hoping I don't kill myself in the process.

Well, I am in the Medford area actually. Currently in Southern California working for family.

Go Shakespeare! lol

Most Bowie knives are large handled and heavy, usually wooden handles that don't stand up to punishment as was said earlier. The bigger the knife, the more damage it takes. Most of them can't take the heavy abuse on the tips as the weight and energy from the throw tends to snap or bend it. As for advice on a knife to use, I personally like a balanced single edged knife with a straight back for support on the tip. Throwing spikes are nice to get used to the finer skill of the spinless throw. They are lighter but can be of any length and thrown at either end. Rebounds are less deadly. Throwing is more about finesse than strength, as long as you throw it right and it hits, the energy from the swing of your arm and weight of the knife will do the rest.

Oh, and i meant that there are the heavier duty bowies and then the usually blade heavy throwing bowies like you would see in old circus clips. My best explanation, long day so sorry if my wording sucks.

There are plenty of high quality throwers so that you do not have to throw a knife that was not designed for throwing. The handle fasteners and handles on that knife will eventually shear off and if the blade is not tempered for throwing, it will eventually break. For what you would probably pay for that knife you could buy a set of three custom throwers from someone who knows how to make a custom thrower that will endure the rigors of daily throwing.

Last edited:
Peak Oil......I guess i am not a traditional thrower so here is my 2 cents worth....my favorite knife has been a "bowie" knife from a cheap set. It is 14.5 inches long made of 3/16 in steel. it really had plastic handles ( stag look though :) )and a "pleather sheath) came with a little 6 in knife in the same sheath. I currently do not compete so i don't worry about "perfect knives" I have thrown this knife since the 1980's, handle was replaced with duct tape many years ago. I just decided to trace it onto new steel and am currently making a set of 6 of them. Cost me 20 dollars for the steel. if the tip bends a little i hammer it back and resharpen and go again. Honestly my first thrower was a 10 inch nail....got me started. oh...i love when the targets try to fight back by throwing a knife back at you..lol keeps you on your toes..

It was a hypothetical question anyway. I've been looking for a Bowie to throw. I picked up a piece of crap one for a dumb reason and wound up looking for real quality Bowies.

That one happens to have a finger guard on the sharp side but not the safe side, which made me think about it as a possible thrower.

I don't have one and don't have $250 to burn on one anyway.

Nice knife, though. I would like to have one.

I MIGHT grind the safe side guard off my Ka Bar so I can throw it... that's a $40 knife and as I recall the steel is kind of soft.
Check out www.fortturner.com and hb forge

Hey, those look like Bowies made for throwing! And they don't cost a fortune!

Look out paycheck, here I come!

Back