1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

what do you think Ontario kukri?

Discussion in 'Ontario Knife Company' started by dingy, Jul 3, 2015.

1. dingy

dingy

Feb 19, 2008
    hi , OKC and you all.

yesterday i got a Ontario kukri , it looks soooo cool and move fast in hand.

do you think OKC just do it right? i mean it has a very very thin profile , especially the part near the point , very thin.

do you think it can stand the force of hard batoning?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. codycash

codycash

Jul 1, 2013
    I think it's the best Kukri for the money. YouTube is full of videos of people beating the snot out of it, haven't heard of a failure yet. Sheath sucks, but I just have mine lashed to the exterior of a pack.
    [​IMG]

3. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    does it come sharp ready to use or do you have to de-burr and sharpen it, like a Cold Steel?
    It looks like a good knife.

4. dingy

dingy

Feb 19, 2008
    this one i have comes sharp ,grind well&even.and no need to sharpen it by now.

5. dingy

dingy

Feb 19, 2008
    pics followed :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the kukri fits my hands well , very comfy , but the only thing i dislike it is that the front part was alot of way too thin down for a chopper .
    in one of pics , you can see that the comparision shot the kukri side with a dalicate folder , almost with a same thickness on the spine .
    As for sp10, it has a dalicate & exaggerated clip point ,but the point more roubust than the kukri . sp10 leaving more steel near the point , make it very useful & stable.

do you really think 3mm thickness can withstand the force of batoning ?
    how about baton it though wood with big knots ?
    i definitely don't think so.

i set it as a stout machete , suits for cutting and light chopping .
    just my personal opinions above.
    thanks

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  6. codycash

codycash

Jul 1, 2013
    Mine came hair popping sharp and the grind is better than my other Ontario's.

7. beachmaster

beachmaster

Oct 3, 2014
    I am VERY impressed with the Ontario Kuk that I bought my father in law for his b day. In fact, I think that it might be the best knife purchase in the chopper world, dollar for dollar, that there is.

With that being said, I am slowly building up my Khukuri collection so that I can do a YouTube comparison of all of them! I can't wait!

8. OntarioKnifeCompany

OntarioKnifeCompany Moderator Moderator

Jan 3, 2013
    That's a pretty good description. It's like a machete that's easier to use because you don't swing your whole arm. Keep in mind, the kukri was originally a farming implement. I've seen plenty of chopping with it. As for batoning - naturally when you baton, it's never a strictly proper use of a knife, but there are better ones out there for that.

9. Kailash Blades

Kailash Blades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 21, 2015
    In my books it's the best value modern khukuri under $100 and the best from the big western makers all the way up until the CS Gurkha at more than triple the price.

jux t likes this.