What do you use in the kitchen?

Mora frost are far better steel than Dick Ergo or Vic
https://morakniv.se/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Frosts-Product-Folder-PDF.pdf
P1060641.jpg

New Classic line
2814683.jpg

Last edited:
An old Global GF-33 (forged 8" chef's) has been my primary kitchen knife for about 20 years now. It was recommended by Anthony Bourdain, who my girlfriend at the time used to know from the NYC restaurant scene of the '90s. He said it was what he and all the cooks in professional kitchens preferred if they had a choice. I think I paid something like $125 for it in the mid-'90s.

I normally reach for a seven inch Santoku before anything else. It's made by Anolon. They make nice pots and pans but their knives are not the greatest.

Do you often use the nakiri/chopper? Can't say I have any experience with that style of knife.

I can't speak for him, but I use a nakiri all the time. The flat edge and ultra-thin stock are incredible for soft foods such as vegetables. The flat edge means you don't have to rock it in order to dice, you just chop quickly and the whole blade touches the cutting board at the same time. A joy to use.

An old Global GF-33 (forged 8" chef's) has been my primary kitchen knife for about 20 years now. It was recommended by Anthony Bourdain, who my girlfriend at the time used to know from the NYC restaurant scene of the '90s. He said it was what he and all the cooks in professional kitchens preferred if they had a choice. I think I paid something like $125 for it in the mid-'90s.

Cool connection. I have been watching/reading Bourdain for many years. I seem to remember a Global reference also. But alas I am peasantry, so will likely grab a Cold Steel Chefs knife to replace our Chinese ? POS. The wife still likes her stainless Mora thumb tip slicers though, so they stay.

I have an eclectic mix of kitchen cutlery...

- A set of Henckles kitchen knives
- A set of Becker/Esee kitchen knives,
- A set of Pinnacle Cutlery kitchen knives
- over a dozen Old Hickory knives ranging from butcher knives down to paring knives
- several 1960s vintage Pioneer Seed Company give-a-way paring knives
- a bunch of old steak knives that got relegated to the "paring knife drawer" when they were replaced by
- a set of Regal Sheffield steak knives
- nearly a dozen Quikcut bread knives accumulated over the years by listening to some salesman's spiel at a grocery store

and that's just what's in the kitchen.

Out in the shop, I also have
- a whole bunch of knives that are in the dedicated chuck box for camping,
- a box of knives that are awaiting replacement handles (just because a plastic handle cracks or a wood handle separates doesn't mean you throw it away)
- a back-up set of Becker/Esee kitchen knives
- a box of vintage kitchen knives accumulated over the years

And I also have, as part of my Kabar collection,
- a set of 6 Kabar stag handled steak knives
- a set of 12 Kabar wood handled steak knives
- 2 Kabar carving sets (carving knife, serving fork)
- Kabar potato masher
- Kabar slotted spoon
- 5 Kabar P19-S and pre-P19-S mini cleavers
- Kabar grapefruit knife

Cool connection. I have been watching/reading Bourdain for many years. I seem to remember a Global reference also.
He wasn't a big deal back then; just the chef at a local restaurant. I think his first book had just come out (or was about to), so this was way before his TV show and everything. He was a huge fan of Global knives and used to rave about them.

The girl I was seeing at the time was very plugged in to the restaurant world in NYC. Because I was a knife nut, I'd always ask about knives and sharpening whenever I met a chef or cook. That's probably why Bob Kramer was one of the first custom makers I ever heard of: he catered to the professional kitchen crowd.

My very first kitchen knives were a set of Case branded carbon steel blades in various configurations. They are over 30 years old and still going. I considered them pretty good kitchen knives at the time. As mentioned earlier, I do use a lot of the Victorinox utility and paring knives that run under $12 each.

Ha5YcfE.jpg

My current main kitchen knifes:

Unknown Japanese bread knife - no frills but a workhorse
Messermeister Meridian Elite - big and heavy
Forschner Victorinox 10 in - my first decent knife. Still a go-to tool
Global G2 - got that bug a few years ago
Tiers - "Le Roi de la Coupe" - fav for many years
Kai Santoku
Locally made damascus utility - brilliant general purpose knife
Marks 2100 6 in - made in Brazil - my second decent knife
Global GS-3
Kasumi Honesuki - my latest. Very fun
Global GS-7 - great paring knife
Wusthof Trident paring
Kyocera ceramic
Paderno boning

In-drawer knife tray for keeping 'em handy.

I also find it interesting that many don't have a good (or even decent) kitchen knife, but have fancy other knives. All things considered, my kitchen knives see way more use than my other knives. Each one of mine sees almost daily use, sometime multiple times per day. And also, my wife now appreciates good knives, and so she understands my other knives a bit better :).

+1

I use Grohmann kitchen knives mostly. Great Canadian knifemaker.

I always buy their “seconds” when I see them online and they end up being about the same price as crappy knives from Marshall’s.

Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm holds an edge forever compared to my old Vic. I'm VERY happy with it.

Picture from the www:

dCdocHm.jpg

Chinese chef cleaver which is really a chef knife and not a cleaver, high carbon USA made and also a chef and santuku made by Henckels. I'm not to picky when it comes to that stuff for some reason.

Paring knives - North arms S35V, Northwoods XHP, Gerbers 3" & 4" in 440C
Northwoods 5" Petty in XHP
Spyderco Yang VG10 6"
Tojiro 7" Gyoto VG10
Tojiro 8" Western Deba VG10 (love this knife for heavy work, like cutting up a chicken or splitting lobster tails)
Warthers S35 Carving knives 7", 9"
Warthers 6" boning knife
Sabatier 8" 4 Elephants chef's knife
I still use a Flint bread knife. I probably use the Petty, boning knife and paring knives more than longer knives. I normally use the smallest knife that will do what I want.

When my mother died of Alzheimers about 10 years ago, I inherited her Cutco set.

Yes, I'm going to get some folks to sneer on this forum. Yes, I know there are far better knives out there. However, hell will freeze over before I get rid of that set.

1) my wife likes them
2) I've had nothing but good to say about Cutco's customer service and warranty.

My go to knife is my Bradford M390 Chef knife. For any rough stuff the Global takes over. I also have a Kikuichi that I really like and a Zakuri. I have an old ESEE Becker Signature series set of knives that I allow the wife and company to use.
pZHNxpF.jpg
pN1efpV.jpg

• 10 inch carbon K Sabatier chef knife
  • 8 inch stainless Henckels chef
  • 6 inch flex straight Henckels boning knife
  • 6 inch stiff straight Chicago Cutlery boning knife
  • 5 inch semi-flex curved F. Dick boning knife
  • 10 inch Vic Fibrox serrated offset bread knife
  • some cheap stamped 3 inch paring knife
  • some cheap stamped 5 inch petty
  • Sabatier cleaver (newer, stainless, and too light - don't like it)
  • No. 8 Opinel Carbon for scoring bread loaves and picnics.

When my mother died of Alzheimers about 10 years ago, I inherited her Cutco set.

Yes, I'm going to get some folks to sneer on this forum. Yes, I know there are far better knives out there.

I've got no beef with Cutco kitchen knives. I like the handles quite a bit. Hollow grinds (IIRC they are hollow) aren't my favorite in the kitchen (preferring full flat for most things) but they cut fine, sharpen well, balance well, and feel good in the hand; what more do you need?

Back