What do you use to remove a lot of metal??

I'm just finishing up my first home meade knife, and I need to sharpen it. I sarted with a grinder, then a very coarse stone. Now I've gotten the edge pretty thin, but I still need to remove a good amount before it would be considered sharp.

Ho w can I remove a lot of metal from the edge while still keeping a 40 degree angle on it? I have a sharpmaker with medium and fine stones, as well as a coarse/fine sharpening stone.

I prefer a 120 grit stone on my EdgePro, or the diamond stone.

If you have to remove a LOT of metal, you can try the DMT XX Coarse. Of course, diamond stones are probably wasted on anything other than ridiculously hard knives.

I also have a Spyderco SharpMaker and I hang a Smiths diamond file on the sharpmaker stick. It has a coarse and fine. Works great. You can find it at most sporting good stores... Gander mtn., Dicks, ect....

DSC00693-1.jpg

For setting a new bevel I use a 120grit belt on a 1X30 belt sander till I can form a burr along the entire edge.

The few custom knife makers I've spoken to use a belt sander to set the bevel. Some even do almost full sharpening that way. Obviously you have to be careful about heat when doing this.

Brian.

Back