What do you use your L/XL folders for?

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by DangerZone98, Feb 2, 2020.

1. ChrisO

ChrisO

Feb 25, 2020
    I hate to admit it, but mostly I use my knife for opening packages;). Second most for cooking around camp, and rarely for what I consider my primary purposes for carrying, butchering big game (and small) and survival if trapped in the wilderness somehow.

That being said, I prefer the biggest cutting edge I can find, coupled with the lightest, most ergonomic handle that makes it less obtrusive to carry. And, a solid lock mechanism is a must, I had my first hunting folder fold up on my fingers while removing a hind quarter from a moose with 5 days to go before the bush plane was coming back to get us and it made for a tough remainder of the hunt;(

At the moment, the Patriot Bladewerx Lincoln has proven to be a good balance, but I still wish it was half an inch longer on the blade.

jux t and DangerZone98 like this.
  2. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Well, if you want a fairly big blade with an ergonomic handle, I recommend the Voyager XL. It’s got a nice solid lockup too that isn’t likely to close on your fingers. :)

ChrisO and jux t like this.
  3. ChrisO

ChrisO

Feb 25, 2020
    Your the second one to recommend the Voyager, I think I’m gonna give it a try! Thanks!

bigsurbob, DangerZone98 and jux t like this.
  4. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    I usually tote a smaller Swiss Army with a large primary blade. The smaller jack handles all the daily, and routine cutting assignments we all face. The bigger folder is essentially for survival, and defense. It's also an augment to my primary arm, a handgun. A large folder is a better-choice for concealment, when a large fixed-blade is not apropos to the city-environment.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  5. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Understood and accepted. I doubt that the shovel and my bad breath would be as effective on a black bear, as would a pump 12 with slugs.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  6. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007
    Chris, I was going to ask in your thread over in General, but this thread is easier to navigate at this point. Have you considered a Cold Steel Broken Skull I for your hunting folder requirements?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Four-inch blade, Tri-Ad lock, three ounces, and it's even available in the orange G-10 you admire. It's a nice knife.

Good luck with your quest!

-Steve

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  7. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    tenor.gif
    Testing the strength of my pants belt.

bigsurbob likes this.
  8. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I won a "I bet my pocket knife is bigger than your pocket knife" bet.

The look of shame and defeat on my opponents face as I whipped it out was priceless.

Well. It was worth five bucks.

bigsurbob, DangerZone98 and nephron like this.
  9. SALTY

SALTY Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2000
    3.5 - 4" is my sweet spot for EDC unless I am wearing dress pants that can't handle it. My "jeans/cargo pants day" typically will have me with a CQC-8, ZT630, Voyager or AD-10 (my favorite). I do have a couple XL Voyagers, both tanto, and have been known to carry one of them for when a large knife handy is smart but a fixed blade wouldn't seem right. Darned sheeple state I live in!

On the hunting side, CS's Triad lock gives me great confidence in a folder but while I have dressed out countless critters over my years with folders, there's just no substitute for a fixed blade in certain situations - hunting being one. - not just for the strength aspect, but for ease of cleaning and not finding little pieces of rancid stuff in nooks and crannies long after the hunt.

bigsurbob and DangerZone98 like this.
  10. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Well-rounded collection there, man. I wouldn’t show any of those wicked blades to sheeple, haha.

I agree with the cleaning aspect. If I get any sort of dirt or gunk on my folding blade, not closing it until I clean it or at least wipe it dry.

11. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

bigsurbob, AF, nephron and 2 others like this.
  12. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Such is the power of the mighty Espada XL.

Pizis and jstrange like this.
  13. Chris_Texas

Chris_Texas

Apr 2, 2020
    I carry a Lynn Thompson Voyager Vaquero almost every day as a backup weapon. I carry other knives as tools.

DangerZone98 and Bladelana like this.
  14. Bladelana

Bladelana

Nov 18, 2018
    I carry my XL folders purely for self defense.

Cold Steel is the only company making folding fixed blades (triad lock) with a lifesaving reach advantage (5"-7.5" blade lengths) made with quality materials all at an affordable price point!

15. Bladelana

Bladelana

Nov 18, 2018
    I carry a leatherman wave or victorinox cybertool as tools. But my XLs are always kept razor sharp and never used for anything other than for the purpose of saving my own life or someone else's life.

Zephyr One/Zero and DangerZone98 like this.
  16. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Agree.

The day after my next door neighbor woke up in the middle of the night and saw a bear going through his trash can out at the street, I carried my Voyager XL on my predawn bike ride. I thought about it later that day, and the next day I carried my normal carry large Voyager and a .40S&W on my ride. What was I thinking that first morning?

DangerZone98 likes this.
  17. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Bear? I wouldn’t take on any bear even with a 15” blade Bowie knife LMAO. I’m not too confident too about .40S&W making an impression on anything north of 300 lbs. Are we talking black bear or grizzly?

18. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Another European here, I'll just say that pepper spray is very effective against groups of attackers. It also gives you much needed distance if they also carry knives.
    I use pepper spray as my primary defensive weapon, and I only have good experiences with it, it's very effective and easy to use.
    Only downsides are: Not good at windy weather or tight closed spaces, and the can will empty quickly.
    That's why you have a knife too.

This being said I ordered a CPM-3V knife for EDC and I'm still patiently waiting...

nephron and DangerZone98 like this.
  19. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016
    I own Spartan for the truck. Random stuff and SD in a pinch I suppose.

20. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    Usually as a back-up to my 1911.

[​IMG]

DangerZone98 and nephron like this.