What do you use your paracord for?

I used to use paracord for tarp lines and such but found it stretches too much and absorbs moisure that cultivates mold.

Now I keep it in daisy chains for emergencies. I have far too much of the stuff but it's still useful to have around nonetheless.

Here's one use:

EDC-1copy.jpg

All kinds of stuff?

lanyards, wrapping, lashing, bracelets, fobs, decorative knots, etc...

It would be more fun to see the more unusual uses for paracord. ;)

entertainment when im bored (if i dont have my bali with me), like i just figured out how to make a 6 and 8 strand lanyard

here are some of my more interesting applications:

removable handle for alice pack
combo tactical knife lanyard/retention lanyard (the "PSK" lanyard)
custom sling for sog fusion hawk
mini-sling for my fiskars hatchet
sling for over-shoulder carrying of nalgene or over-the-counter water bottles
retention belt loop for pocket knife
enhancing grips on all sorts of things
adding a loop to tool for hanging on peg board
add a loop and handle/knob to firesteel/magnesium sticks
adding combo handle/knob/neck loop to firesteel
belt sheath for firesteels
zipper pulls containing firesteels
zipper pulls containing jute tinder
all-paracord ranger pacing beads
side/by side pacing beads
paracord ranger pacing bead knife lanyards
dress belt
paracord knitted beer coaster
paracord beer cozy
paracord handcuffs
paracord kids wrist leash
paracord eyeglasses strap
paracord handle to carry more grocery bags at the same time from car to house
paracord buttons
paracord locking loop to keep wool blank roll together when not in use, which is removable and usable to fasten around neck as a hoodie
adjustable belt on one of my cargo pants utilizing monkeyfist and prussik
removable hanger on back of baby stroller for bags etc.
all-paracord rock slings
paracord cross (stormdrane's design)
paracord rosary beads
attached baby in car seat to back of a shopping cart handle

I use it as a handle for my water bottles!

Take a strange of cord. Place each end on opposite sides of the bottle, and wrap in duct tape.

You then have a small piece of para-cord. Some tape. And a handle for water bottle that would otherwise not have one.

ive used it for lanyards and a bracelet, wrapped a knife handle, used it for attaching a sheath. most useful was using it for replacement shoe laces on my workboots. which after many months show no signs of wearing out. i plan on making more lanyards and such as i get some free time, i made a couple on the bad snow day a couple weeks back. i like the fact that its very resistant to abrasion and is as strong as much larger normal rope or cordage.

lanyard i did for my Gayle Bradley.

l_39c5fe1a33c34c06936069e364cd642a.jpg

I bought a bunch, it's not a useful as I thought it would be. But I don't make trinkets or tails on my knives, I leave that stuff to little girls.

I bought a bunch, it's not a useful as I thought it would be. But I don't make trinkets or tails on my knives, I leave that stuff to little girls.

Paracord not that useful ? Just paracord or cordage in general? I'm curious cuz I've never heard such an opinion

Paracord not that useful ? Just paracord or cordage in general? I'm curious cuz I've never heard such an opinion
I imagine he means paracord.
Most people probably use it because it's convenient. I do, anyway.
Has a lot going for it in that department. Cheap, wide variety of colors, easy to untie, and more comfortable for lanyards worn around the neck than thinner cord. Accessories like cord locks and ends are also cheap, and easy to find, too.
It's fun to play with, too. Seems you already know that, with all the cool stuff you make with it!

Some of the downsides are that paracord's also stretchy, absorbant, bulkier than 3mm cord, and weaker than braided cord the same size or larger, so there's lots of things it's not good for, or for which there isn't something a lot better readily available. Commercially available cord can also be questionable when it comes to quality and adherence to specs.
What kills me is how much I hear people talk about how great it is for things it's absolutely horrible for, and how they make up their own little factoids about it. Paracord fanboys? hahaha, it's a braided nylon jacket with some strings through it. You'd think people could find something else to be emotionally attached to:rolleyes:

Back