What era is my katana?

Hello community, I am new here on the site and I'm not sure if this is the best place to start a thread but I'll cut to the chase. I inherited two swords but I don't know when or where they were used. They seem to be authentic as they are very brittle and close to falling apart. Any information you may have would help me because I no nothing at this point. Please help! Thanks

346xgs1.jpg

I was directed here because the general discussion members said there are knowledgeable people on this site. Are these both Japanese? How do I find out how old they are?

Well, the problem is that very little information can be provided from the photos you supplied. I will give you my opinion on what I see.

In general, I think they are probably both legitimate Japanese swords.

The long sword or Katana fittings are mismatched. The tsuba (guard) and Tsuka (handle) are Type 3 late war Gunto, while the saya (scabbard) is not Gunto.
As a guess, I would say that there is a high probability that the blade is a non-traditionally made WWII era blade.

The short sword (wakizashi) presents the best likely hood of being a traditionally made blade.

This information can only be confirmed, denied or expounded upon by providing better photos.
You will need to remove the handles in order to see the Tangs.
The small bamboo pegs can be removed by pushing them out with a small punch, preferably brass. The handles should then come off with gentle persuasion.

Do not attempt to clean or remove rust or corrosion!!! This will cause more harm than good.

Here is a link to some tips which may help you provide better photos.
http://yakiba.com/Article_PhotoTips.htm

I'm probably way off here. But is there a possibility that the top one is a Korean sword?

The fittings on a blade can be interchanged and as such are irrelivent to dating or placing the sword and do little for the swords value, when appraising such a blade the pins should be removed and the blade's worth is appraised bare.

That said orignal fittings on ww2 gunto have an imperial army stamp, the design has cherry blossoms on it.

Well, the problem is that very little information can be provided from the photos you supplied. I will give you my opinion on what I see.

In general, I think they are probably both legitimate Japanese swords.

The long sword or Katana fittings are mismatched. The tsuba (guard) and Tsuka (handle) are Type 3 late war Gunto, while the saya (scabbard) is not Gunto.
As a guess, I would say that there is a high probability that the blade is a non-traditionally made WWII era blade.

The short sword (wakizashi) presents the best likely hood of being a traditionally made blade.

This information can only be confirmed, denied or expounded upon by providing better photos.
You will need to remove the handles in order to see the Tangs.
The small bamboo pegs can be removed by pushing them out with a small punch, preferably brass. The handles should then come off with gentle persuasion.

Do not attempt to clean or remove rust or corrosion!!! This will cause more harm than good.

Here is a link to some tips which may help you provide better photos.
http://yakiba.com/Article_PhotoTips.htm

Good advice

Back