What ever happened to olsen knives?

I have this real neat looking knife made by olsen , has a stag handle and the blade is around 3" long.Well I was just wondering why i never here about them or ever see them for sale on the auctions?What ever happened to the company?
Thanks,
Jay

I remember those, I think from some mail order house, Eddie Bauer or LL Bean. Couldn't afford them at the time but they sounded like good steel, with stag grips.

I purchased an Olsen OK fixed blade about 20 years ago from K-Mart.Quality was very good.Don't remember how much it cost but it could'nt have cost too much,maybe no more that $25.00?Well,I traded that knife for a Buck 110.I remember who I traded it to and I've thought many times of tracking this old friend down and trying to get it back.Anyway I think they've been out of buisiness for some time now.I do believe they were made in Michigan.Glad to see someone else remembers these knives.
scott w

Here's what Goins second edition has to say about Olsen Knives. "Olsen Knife Co. Howard City, Mich. c 1950-1985. Founded and opoerated by Lee E. Olsen. He made both pocket and hunting knives. After 1970, he contracted his knives from Solingen, Germany. They went out of business about 1980. From 1982-1985, a group in Grand Rapids, Michigan used the Olsen Knife Company trademark on hunting knives."

The pre-Germany knives in mint condition bring $100-$150 on e-bay, sometimes more. Even the used ones are worth a good piece of change if the right bidders have money the week you sell. The stag on the old skinner blades, called Grizzly, I found out from a gentleman in Michigan, is usually very well matched and feels good to the hand. The knives were made to be worked with. Pick them up if you can get them in mint condition, use them if you want a real hunting knife or just look at them, they have class.

DaveJ

Holy crapola, I have thought many a times of the one I gave away to my older brother. Bought it at Ed Harts Gun Shop in Bath NY long about 72 or so. He still has it too. Had wooden handles I think of coco bola if I remember correctly. Think I may have to give him a call this weekend in LALA land. Great sheaths too. Keep'em sharp

Back