What ever happened to the middle class?

I've always felt that under $50 is a budget knife. It's really due to YouTube Reviewers and Blade Forums that I've come to accept a limit of $100. Perhaps due to my own place in the "middle class", it's hard for me to justify more than that on an EDC knife. Not only do I get pickier as the price goes up, I also become more aware of that "curve of diminishing returns".

Uhh, it’s hard to please some people. Especially when they lack any understanding or basic principles. After that they learn by peeing on the electric fence to see what happens.

You generally get your best values with lower end and middle ranged knives. The expensive stuff should be perfect but to me they really aren't a value. They're just something you wanted. That's okay, but a value they generally are not. They all cut. Even cheap knives cut. What's the purpose of a knife? To cut..... When you get to edge holding, steel preferences, and so forth, the price rises a bit but not to the point of the $500 folder price area. Those you just want because you do, and you feel you can afford it.

Last edited:
If you've read my posts, you know I'm a budget guy. It's interesting to see where people draw the "junk line". I think there are relative gems to be found at several price levels. For instance, the Kubey in my profile pic with those beautiful wood scales is like $20. The action is surprisingly good and the Chinese D2 holds up better than I expected. For the price, it's awesome.

I have a little Tonife Squirrel that I love. It's only 7Cr17Mov but it only cost me $12.99. It has an excellent sheath. It's super tiny and easy to carry. It's surprisingly comfortable to use for its size. The extremely low replacement cost might even be a benefit. Honestly, it's given me more real-world utility than knives that cost me more than five times as much.

So I have trouble drawing the "junk line" based on cost alone. Steel and other factors matter. That 7Cr17Mov is probably my bare minimum and I accept it on my Squirrel based on those other factors. I think 8Cr13Mov is okay under maybe $30 but is "junk" at around $40 or more. It's all relative.

Uhh, it’s hard to please some people. Especially when they lack any understanding or basic principles.After that they learn by peeing on the electric fence to see what happens.

I had a friend in Junior High who did that...

Best I can tell is he learned he liked it, since he done it more than once.
Yes, he was not the brightest bulb on the Halloween Tree. :)

I dont define them only that way, per say. as in by pricing only. I define in 3 basic categories and then some variations in prices in all 3 categories.

my system is production knives. with ranges from low dollar to high dollar. mid levels I always considered in between production and customs. some production methods used along with some hand productions, etc. used to be called midtech not sure what term is used or to use nowadays. then customs. ain't saying my way is the right way, just the way I do it.

all have ranges of prices of course.

guess each of my 3 groups have a middle class price wise.

if we are just talking price....I put 70 to 150ish range as my middle. depends on the brand and knife as I may lower or raise depending. my middle class range may be someones upper class or someones lowest class. guess its all relative. I see a lot of middle class by my pricing ranges. for someone else's, will be different.

Middle class, IMO, usually runs from $75 to $200.
I've owned and carried many that exceed $300, but I apparently don't give much notice to that now.
My daily carries, for at least the last year, consist of these:
The DROP Keen Laconico clipped in RH pocket, an outstanding knife in every way...and..
the Bradford Guardian 3" in Vanadis 4E (a great tool-steel), carried in horiz crossdraw leather sheath.
I just do NOT see any reason to change...

I don't really think about price ranges, if I really like the knife I'll buy it, even if I have to save a month or two. I will want a certain quality if I pay a good amount for a knife though.

One thing I do stand by is the 'never settle' law. I remember when I bought my first Spyderco, I wanted a largish knife and lusted after a Manix 2. I thought at the time it was a bit pricey and settled on a Tenacious as it would do the same job. The Tenacious did cut, and did it well, but always wondered if the Manix 2 would be better still.
So I still lusted after a Manix 2. I now have 2 of them and should have just got one in the first place.

Performance and value are much more important to me than prestige. If I can get a very well built knife with top end premium steel for $100 or less I'm all over it. I understand and agree with the rule of diminishing returns, but sometimes the price starts to increase based on the brand and the associated prestige that comes with it rather than through manufacturing difficulty.

I think mid range ends and high end/premium begin once the price of the logo reaches a certain point. Then again there are so many intangibles like R&D, consistency in manufacture, etc. that drive the prices in the premium brands.

As other folks have mentioned here, “mid-range” and other price tiers are mostly relative to the user, his financial situation, his allotted budget for knives, etc. That’s perfectly fine. For some folks, maybe the Endura 4 is mid-range; for others, it’s the Inkosi.

While price generally has a directly proportional relationship with quality and longevity, some mid-range knives challenge this, and that’s why I have a healthy respect for certain mid-tier knives. I’ve had my Endura 4 since 2012-ish and it’s still going strong. The Emerson LaGriffe has also held up well through the years. I’ve only recently acquired Tri-Ad knives and time will tell if they stand fast. Again, is an S35VN blade in G10 handles mid-range? That’s up to you.

Nonetheless, from one knife bro to another, do invest in a knife of substantial quality, not a throwaway ones that can get you hurt. Cheap knives are costlier than expensive knives. Get something that will last and withstand the daily tasks you demand of it.

Bottomline, it’s great to own high-end knives, but I also wouldn’t write off mid-tier knives. There are a handful out there that are rugged and reliable.

My midrange class would be $75-$300. It is a broad range but many great knives in this price range in my humble opinion.

It depends on your perspective. If you drive a Bentley or a Rolls, then a Cadillac is a budget car. If you drive an Chevrolet, then a Buick is as luxury car.

For my tastes, a "high end" knife is anything over $250. A mid rasnge is $125-$250, and budget is under $125. And under $50 is a "beater."

A couple of my former co-workers told me that there is no way on G-d's green earth that they would ever pay over $10 for a knife.

Again, persprective.

Back