1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Fiddleback Forge knife are you totin' today?

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Gevonovich, Sep 14, 2016.

1. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Sorta like this:

[​IMG]

;)

~ P.

Panthera tigris likes this.
  2. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Sharpclaw / Apex Predator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    Yep, just like that.

3. Kalsu

Kalsu Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Okay, well maybe a little bitter smell? Definitely not sweet. I can't help but feel a little funny sitting here rubbing my knife and smelling it..

The handles are the definition of smooth. Either way I am happy with it. I just haven't seen cocobolo this dark. I have a hiking buddy with cocobolo wood and it is a lot lighter in color.

[​IMG]

4. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    It definitely doesn't have any nicks at all. It is as smooth as could be. I just inspected my hiking buddy that has cocobolo handles and you can see the nicks. The raptor definitely does not have any at all, it is completely smooth.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  5. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    thats bocote Kalsu

Appalachian likes this.
  6. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    Nice, Thanks. I wasn't quite sold on it being cocobolo. How can you tell from my less than stellar picture?

7. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    because bocote is yellowish w/ black grain running through it

8. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    So are you saying the hiking buddy is bocote then?

Okay you are totally right. I just went and found the link I saved when I bought the knife and it is bocote. My bad. I am obviously not well versed in my woods. I can't keep track of all these different woods. Maybe I have to many different knives? Haaa no way that is possible!

What about the raptor then?

9. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    yes

on stuff like bocote, its straight forward. on the others I ask the Andy or Allen

10. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Sharpclaw / Apex Predator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    To be fair, both bocote and cocobolo are referred to as "rosewood."

Bocote is in the genera Cordia and Cocobolo is Dalbergia. Most folks refer to Dalberga species as "true rosewoods".

Over time bocote will change to a deeper red.

It has been suggested that several different Dalbergia species are mislabeled as cocobolo, and vice versa.

When Esnyx released a knife with the reformed j.b. champlin co. with "rosewood" from the cataraugus NY factory, I believe there was some miscommunication about the species and it ended up being cocobolo.

When I read rosewood, I typically think of Dalbergia stevensonii. Whereas Cocobolo is Dalbergia retusa...

We also come across Dalbergia latifolia quite a bit, which is "indian rosewood", or "satisal".

In any case, I would agree that looks more like bocote in the light.

But for that matter, it also looks like Pau Ferro (Machaerium scleroxylon).

I have a suspicion that a lot of wood is coming across the southern border a bit casually marked.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    JB in SC likes this.
  11. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Looks like Cocobolo

12. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
  13. Kalsu

Oct 26, 2010
    After reading and looking I would agree the raptor is cocobolo.

14. VideoTim

VideoTim Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Finally nice out.

Attached Files:

15. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    Can't wait to see that sylverfalcen when that osage starts to age.

16. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Great looking Lonestar VT!

17. Scotcha

Scotcha Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2013
    IMG_0518.JPG

Bmurray, fatboyclone and Nbrackett like this.
  18. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    Awesome Abe

Scotcha likes this.
  19. Panthera tigris

Apr 21, 2012
    +1

Scotcha likes this.
  20. TomR2

TomR2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2015

Never heard of Bocote referred to as a Rosewood. In addition to your "Rosewoods" above, and Cocobolo, don't forget African Blackwood, aka, Dalbergia Melanoxylon - http://www.wood-database.com/african-blackwood/. All the Dalbergias share some interesting characteristics when worked. I really dig the smell - it can be somewhere between vanilla and cinnamon. Turning them on the lathe for say drawer pulls, because of the waxy/oily content, just polishing with fine grit papers past 600 and then holding a cloth with some Ren wax is about all thats needed to finish. The negative is that some folks develop a really nasty allergy working with these. My fav dovetail saw has Cocobolo handles and there's something very pleasing about grabbing hold of that one. Cool, smooth, weighty/substantial - not rational, but there.

Bocote's interesting, when milling the sawdust is distinctly yellow. A bit of BLO turns it darker towards light brown and over time it just gets richer, lovely honey towards reddish. Cocobolos start out orange to red but grow towards a more uniform brown over time. Its a little disappointing given how beautiful the color is when first milled and finished.

Panthera tigris and Odaon like this.