• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

What finish for a combat/service knife?

I would like to ask some opinions on what types of finish(es) are most preferred on a knife that will see military service. I know we have some military folks on here and those are the opinions which are most valuable to me, but I welcome answers from anyone who has had the opportunity to use and abuse knives in similar context. My question applies mostly to carbon steels, but for informational purposes I will not exclude stainless.

Personally I think I would lean towards a simple etched/acid washed finish because if the scales are properly sealed the finish can be re-done just about any time, by anyone. It seems to be popular these days for users to remove blade coatings and experiment with alternative finishes, and the etch is a good starting point for this kind of modification.
Parkerizing is probably my second choice, although I do wish it were more durable. I have experimented with cold blue over an acid wash, and this seems to be more durable than straight cold blue but still wears off, and makes the blade ill-suited to food preperation.

So, what finish and why? Is rust resistance more or less important than having a non-reflective finish?

Great read. I prefer Mirror finish on the spine, ricasso, flats. Coated handle if it's a full tang construction. Satin on the rest. Brute de Forge is nice as well. Look at Burt Fosters combat knives.

IMO. Bowie style clip point blade... length, 7 1/2" minimum, and up to what length you feel comfortable swinging. The blade should have a tang thru design to add to the overall strength. A full steel crossguard (soldered in), micarta grips and an optional "skull-crusher" type pommel (smooth and rounded). If this sounds kinda like an older 'Nam Randall model 14... then that's a great place to start.

One more thing NO saw teeth on the blade... nuff said.

Carbon or Stainless steel... your choice, they are both good. But, there are tradeoffs with each. With carbon, resharpening seems easier, so it will take an edge faster and with a small pocket stone. With stainless steel you get that rust resistance that helps out, especially if you are a little lax on field maintenance (...and you know who you are).

Finish or coatings... whatever you like, as long as it don't shine. Personally, I like a bead blasted finish.

I have a few in service, some have 400 grit hand polished finish (never knew they were going to wind up as "battle" blades), a few have scotchbrite finish, but most have either bead blast or combo of bead blast/scotch brite, the combo is my personal favourite for users/combat knives.

I have one that was in a skirmish about 2 weeks ago, awaiting details.

I have a few in service, some have 400 grit hand polished finish (never knew they were going to wind up as "battle" blades), a few have scotchbrite finish, but most have either bead blast or combo of bead blast/scotch brite, the combo is my personal favourite for users/combat knives.

I have one that was in a skirmish about 2 weeks ago, awaiting details.

Thanks for the reply, I hope your knife and it's owner are undamaged and victorious.

Do you do the bead blast finish on carbon steel blades? If so, have you had any issues with rust? I can see how it would foster corrosion if not maintained but I think for the same reasons it might be able to hold a coat of oil or wax as a protectant better than a satin finish.

Back