What Got You Into Knives?

sfknifeguy

Gold Member
I'm sure that there has been a post like this so forgive me if there is one already. I'm really interested to hear how all of you got into knives.

I will start out with how I did. I don't have a cool story or anything about how my grandpa or my dad always carried one back in the day so I had nothing in the way of inheriting something. I work a job in Audio Visual and I decided that I deal with enough cords, tape, rope, etc. that I should carry a knife. My wife bought me a Spyderco Resilience after I picked it out, all I really knew was that the brand Spyderco was good. I was excited to get it, but when I did, my God I hadn't realized how huge it was going to be. 4.25" is a lot of blade and I got comments everytime I pulled it out at work (I work in an upscale hotel). That wasn't cutting it anymore and it was just far too big to carry. I got serious and really did my research, after much thought, I went to a local knife shop and picked up a ZT 0450CF as my one knife that I planned to always have. As you all know, one knife leads to another, and then to another, and here we are today.

I've got the knife bug, real real bad, but I love the community, the knives, the new ideas, and everything that the industry is bringing to the table year after year. I'm really excited to be a part of the community and look forward to all the years to come and all the knives I hope to acquire and use.

Being sick of almost getting those Stanley snap-off blades lodged in my eye every time they accidentally break.

So I bought a Buck Spitfire, and the sickness slowly seeped into my brain, and here we are.
How many knives deep has the sickness got you?

I got tired of people looking at me funny in restaurants when I'd pick up the whole steak in my hands to eat it.:p
I've been around knives my entire life. My dad gave me my first knife when I was around 10 years old. Been having one ever since. I didn't become addicted to knives until I joined Blade Forums. I was in my happy world with a few pocket knives and found this place. I've got more knives right now in different shapes, colors, steels that will last me several life times. It has became a hobby and I'm having fun. For me, that's what it's all about. There are some great people here.

My dad always had a knife. When I was 4 he took an old worn out buck 110 folder and ground down the tip and the edge flat flat. Gave it to me. I would take it to preschool! That was a different time and every one knew every one and it was just a different time.

Later on when I was 6 or 7 he sharpened it just enough to cut hay bails open.

Then later on 10 or 11. I told him I wanted it sharp like his and he told me if I could get it that sharp myself he didnt mind.

Over the next few weeks I must ha e taken 1/4 of the blade off thet old 110 trying to get it sharp with files. While using a files one day I slipped and cut deep into the edge. I looked and noticed it was really sharp there and realised that I had to file the edge closer and not the side of the edge lol

I got it really sharp.

Those were the days

My father bought me a knife when I was 5 or 6. It was a small fixed blade knife made for kids.
So from that point on I always liked knives and would buy a knife with my allowance or ask my father.

I started hunting at 14 , so I got my first real fixed blade around that time.
I carried a pocket knife all through high school and college.
The real buying didn't start until I got my first job and since then it's been an evolution from mail order catalogs to the Internet

My buying habits are not typical, I like and do buy high quality modern knives , but I still buy old school stilettos (I carried a stiletto in HS).
And while most here would laugh at some of the things I buy, I have been known to still frequent flea markets and buy junk ( I'm sorry, I know it's a problem but I can't help myself).

As a kid they were cool toys ; just playing around whittling points on sticks, carving initials in tree bark, etc.; general abuse like throwing at trees or ground to "stick" point first.

As an adult; first, the need for a tool that would cut efficiently.

And then along came the internet with it's portal to the world, and my need to fill a need...

As best I can recall, I purchased my first knife when I was in the 2nd grade ($0.50 at the 5 & 10) and bought a larger one a couple years later as my hands grew larger. Dad always carried a slip joint of some kind and that is what I got as well. The rest is history; lots of knives, especially since joining Blade Forums. I carry a Vic Small Tinker now and sometimes add a modern knife with a clip. The little Tinker does just about everything I need to do with a knife and then some. Have larger knives for times when bigger is better. My regular carry knives have been getting smaller as I get smarter. ;)

all the men in my family carried a pocket knife
I got one as a birthday gift when I was 9 from my dad.
add in kitchen knives, fillet knives, and hunting knives...and its, well, there's a lot of knives.

in reality, its something that i use almost daily

When I was moving from the trailer in the country to my current small city, at the tender age of 8, my best friend at the time gave me his pocket knife which i now assume was a knock off SAK or something similar. Over the next 8 or so years i just collected random knives from yard sales and family. Skip ahead to 18 and I buy a Camillus EDC from Walmart. Over the next 2 or 3 years I buy a good number of cheaper kershaws and the like. Close to 2 years ago now I bought my first benchmade, and now I've fallen down thr rabbit hole.

My original knife limit was 80 bucks. Now I have an umnumzaan and 2 integral WE's.

When I was moving from the trailer in the country to my current small city, at the tender age of 8, my best friend at the time gave me his pocket knife which i now assume was a knock off SAK or something similar. Over the next 8 or so years i just collected random knives from yard sales and family. Skip ahead to 18 and I buy a Camillus EDC from Walmart. Over the next 2 or 3 years I buy a good number of cheaper kershaws and the like. Close to 2 years ago now I bought my first benchmade, and now I've fallen down thr rabbit hole.

My original knife limit was 80 bucks. Now I have an umnumzaan and 2 integral WE's.

Great to hear that, haha Nick Shabazz talking about Hedonic Adaptation has hit you fairly hard then, I'm hoping my next knife to buy is an integral WE as well! The Drakon specifically.

Great grandparents had a farm and I spent my summers there, so I had an early introduction to knives. Have carried one every day since I was 8 or 9, except for where they are banned. When I began hunting, had to have a bigger knife. Fishing? Had to have an appropriate knife. And it grew from there. I tend to buy knives that I would consider carrying or using, not collectors so much. I do have plenty I have never carried or used. Sometimes you just run across a knife that is cool and you have to have.

The buck 110. I drooled over that knife in my youth. Once I was old enough to get a paper route, that was the first thing I saved for. Then shortly afterwards I cut my finger real bad with it and got it taken away by my parents. It's forever lost.

I remember seeing the a couple of adults whittle out some really cool stuff when I was a kid.
I was amazed that a cutty thingie could make all kinds of different things.
Chess pieces, spoons, skin deer, fillet fish, piece out wood for fires, make stuff bite size.
Never occurred to me that they could be used for violence until I saw it on TV.

The buck 110. I drooled over that knife in my youth. Once I was old enough to get a paper route, that was the first thing I saved for. Then shortly afterwards I cut my finger real bad with it and got it taken away by my parents. It's forever lost.

When I was a kid, in my house Case Cutlery was considered "the best".
So when I bought my first 110 , I was shocked at how well made it was.
In the early 80's I paid $29 for it. But it has jigged red bone scales.

Cub scouts got me into knives though it didn’t move to an addiction until I got older and had more disposable income. The same can be said with the guns I own as well. I always knew what was available in the market but couldn’t really afford all the knives/guns I wanted. Though there are many knives I would love to have I’ve realized that I own more steel then I could possibly use (wear out) in one life time. It still hasn’t stopped me.:p When you get the itch there is only one cure.

Back