What grinder are you running and how could it be improved?

I have a Reeder Products grinder. It is an incredible machine, as is every accessory I've purchased from those guys. Wouldn't change a thing.

I have a Reeder Products grinder. It is an incredible machine, as is every accessory I've purchased from those guys. Wouldn't change a thing.

I have a Reeder also. Knife sharpening attachment, small wheel attachment, flat platen. I made a chilled platen from a piece of 1x2 D2, to solve the heat buildup. Leeson 2HP and KBAC27D, more than adequate for me. Next up a surface grinder attachment and a couple of contact wheels.

Jet 2x42 lol

Pros: ~$450 & It spins the drive wheel
Cons: I need a better grinder :D Not enough power, belts run too fast... too hot... etc lol

I have a NorthRidge grinder. Absolutely NO complaints. BUT I did change the top flat platen roller wheel to a rubber coated wheel. I think the top and bottom roller wheels on the flat platten should be 2" and 3" rubber coated wheels instead of aluminum wheels. Other wise I'm a happy happy man.

I run a TW90 and two Burr Kings. I wish the Burr Kings tracked as well as the TW90. The Northridge wasn't an option when I purchased but I would gladly consider them. I wish they used 1.25" tool arms so it could use my TW90 arms. The next grinder will likely be another TW90 or another Burr King 960-272

Check YT there is a guy who did a review on one that made a very simple way to make it tilt using some plywood gate hinges and a few blocks of wood. I'm waiting on mine to arrive and plan on making a similar one he did to have it go horizontal.

I’ve got a pheer and built my workbench to tilt using a few wooden standoffs. Works very well for me and is rock solid. Happy to share pics if anyone with a pheer is interested.

Dc knives diy modified for tilt and a cantilevered tracking arm run off a 3hp treadmill motor. I had to extend the shaft by welding an extension on without a lathe but the vibration is still minimal. Did me well for the couple hundred invested but its time for something different. I'll be making my second but this time based on a plate design with a 3 phase and vfd. I still can't stomach what these these things cost. I just enjoy making things.

I have a NorthRidge grinder. Absolutely NO complaints. BUT I did change the top flat platen roller wheel to a rubber coated wheel. I think the top and bottom roller wheels on the flat platten should be 2" and 3" rubber coated wheels instead of aluminum wheels. Other wise I'm a happy happy man.
Yeah rubber wheels in those locations last forever compared to aluminum ones!

Dc knives diy modified for tilt and a cantilevered tracking arm run off a 3hp treadmill motor. I had to extend the shaft by welding an extension on without a lathe but the vibration is still minimal. Did me well for the couple hundred invested but its time for something different. I'll be making my second but this time based on a plate design with a 3 phase and vfd. I still can't stomach what these these things cost. I just enjoy making things.
I have the DC Knives diy that I made. For the price it is amazing and great. Similar to Scott I can't stomach what it costs when I can do it myself for waaaay less. I bought a second hand 3ph motor for peanuts and a second hand vfd. Problem with the DC knives diy is that I still have to play around with the tracking/alignment and there is play in there that I am always putting a shim in or fiddling with to get things running true.

I plan to make a new one based on the plate design when I get my house built....probably another year before I do that.

I would be interested in seeing your pictures of your cantilevered track arm and modification for tilt that you did @scott_kozub

I'm running the Wilmont TAG... I've done so many mods over the years it would take quite a while (not that it needed them). But here's a couple pics after re-painting and outfitting with a new trough for my mist system...notice the platen set up with quick change knobs. Makes it really easy swapping to a soft platen, radius platen, 1" wide platen, etc

And I still maintain that Wilmont had the absolutely best tool rest on the market :D

i-WcQB2mx-X3.jpg

i-KxX4mZD-X3.jpg

Here are my three grinders, all made by a guy in Greece. Two with tilt and all three with 3 HP motors on VFD. I'm very happy with them, they are rock solid and track flawlessly.

The only thing I would improve is some sort of cam lever for easier belt changes.

y4msVOYpLf243pRjrOTflt29VKLhn3M5tVf_8vt1lvmE8qt65p0GPlwXXTjLA3ONdcdzAkh5BZDkp3iogcMUFrWJ9d4Pn--fewSjav_Zh9wgiREhwUKLcLi7HhwTm3i_5-_mEZuLgV0HU5X1ldlg1S4ThCAo7sFUWjgX7XHSSKUO-DwrwtA8BkOj9G4tpsn1HjT

y4mUCzpow-8WBW5o2yV88DlbJFn76UDJn_jvSuHdy0NHgnlx3Jaq50pGtopCGeGCmOPmiz_pk_VAgQCv0XIhq8Yz6BH09XONs_x3p-IiY5kpn5pNTZGuYp2mnJpSmhMDwZt0QfZSWGnQd0tHickBflFgXO9FPIuRrv13b8HVLdFHf8UXoH5miq_eT2Fh8jIUr6A

Back