What happened to Case?

i also think that things started to change in the fifties, the western world started to become more materialistic, and things and society just started to change, and marketing became a really big business.
Good points... and for once they could afford to buy frivolous stuff.

So if Case knives are slightly better than, on par with, no worse than knives that cost half as much why would I want to buy Case? I'm not a Case fan because I can get as good a knife from other makers at half the price and I don't care much about mystique.

Case offers a lifetime guarantee on all their knives. Even if you are not the original owner, they will service your knife for a nominal fee. That's worth some extra coin to me. Plus.....Case is the only maker who works with Tony Bose. Again....worth it to me.

The oldest surviving and best knife in my kit is an old Old Timer USA Middleman Stockman pattern. When I was young I got whatever I could afford from the local Western Auto or Sears and since then I have bought primarily Buck and recently Mora knives, all but two of my knives are traditional patterns. I'm now in my late 70's, still need to cut stuff and still see no need to pay more than necessary to do so.

Well sounds like you unfortunately don't appreciate knives for any reason other than functionality. Many people pay premium prices for goods that go beyond function, such as guns, dogs, houses, crystal, shoes, coats, boats, cars etc. I'm that way about dogs, just give me a decent mongrel :)

Well sounds like you unfortunately don't appreciate knives for any reason other than functionality. Many people pay premium prices for goods that go beyond function, such as guns, dogs, houses, crystal, shoes, coats, boats, cars etc. I'm that way about dogs, just give me a decent mongrel :)
Mongrel's do make the best squirrel hunting dogs in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Lol, I laughed at going beyond the basic functionality of a dog! :D I just have a bunch of cats... really haven't figured out their function yet!

Lol, I laughed at going beyond the basic functionality of a dog! :D I just have a bunch of cats... really haven't figured out their function yet!
You can train them to guard knives.
Fl1neRC.jpg

You're correct that I'm definitely not a collector of things, I'm a user of tools. My typical day to day knife use consists of opening packages, breaking down cardboard boxes, cutting rope and similar mundane tasks. Why would I want to spend $80 or more for a knife to do that when I can do it just as well with a $20 knife? I buy the tools that best fit the task; when I was able to hunt I bought the best outdoor gear I could afford because my success and even my life depended on them but they were tools to use not just look at.

Case frankly quit making quality knives and switched over to making collectibles; they became the Beanie Baby of pocket knives. And, since American consumers shop price over everything, almost nobody cares. They offer 200 variations on the same 30 patterns every year because it's easier to put a different color scale on a Stockman (for example) and sell it than it is to improve the fit and finish.

"Case, the most collected knife brand". That pretty much sums up their business model.

Case frankly quit making quality knives and switched over to making collectibles; they became the Beanie Baby of pocket knives. And, since American consumers shop price over everything, almost nobody cares. They offer 200 variations on the same 30 patterns every year because it's easier to put a different color scale on a Stockman (for example) and sell it than it is to improve the fit and finish.

"Case, the most collected knife brand". That pretty much sums up their business model.
I think a lot of people primarily are attracted by sight rather than function. If the color is pretty and the shape is arousing and shiny they want it. I got past that in my early 20s once I started using them heavily in my job for various tasks throughout the day every day. I first started with the cheap auto store variety and soon found them to be of little use, would not hold an edge. Then the Case offerings were better but still fell short. Then in 1989 I received a gift Buck 301 it had 425m blade and it could keep a good edge for a lot more cutting of various materials and easy enough to sharpen. After that I mostly use Buck knives in various blade steel in 420hc, cpm 154,s30v,S35vn, and 20cv. I haven’t been disappointed even a little bit. For me function and performance is my primary reason for buying knives and looks are down farther on the list. I don’t have anything against art knives or embellishments it’s just that’s not my motivation. I just want them to work and cut. I don’t want to stop in the middle of a job to sharpen a dull blade or break in heavy use.

Things I like about Case.
1. Made in the USA
2. Fit and Finish are pretty good as far as I can tell. (Maybe some of you have better eyes than me)
3. They make a lot of pretty knives and I do enjoy things that are aesthetically pleasing.
4. They're functional. (I use them, they work)
5. Natural materials lead to individually unique knives.
6. Hands are involved in at least parts of the manufacturing process.
7. They're relatively available
8. They're heirlooms.
9. You can sell them if you need.
10. Made in my home state.
11. Wide variety.
12. Not funding the CCP

Last edited:
I think a lot of people primarily are attracted by sight rather than function. If the color is pretty and the shape is arousing and shiny they want it. I got past that in my early 20s once I started using them heavily in my job for various tasks throughout the day every day. I first started with the cheap auto store variety and soon found them to be of little use, would not hold an edge. Then the Case offerings were better but still fell short. Then in 1989 I received a gift Buck 301 it had 425m blade and it could keep a good edge for a lot more cutting of various materials and easy enough to sharpen. After that I mostly use Buck knives in various blade steel in 420hc, cpm 154,s30v,S35vn, and 20cv. I haven’t been disappointed even a little bit. For me function and performance is my primary reason for buying knives and looks are down farther on the list. I don’t have anything against art knives or embellishments it’s just that’s not my motivation. I just want them to work and cut. I don’t want to stop in the middle of a job to sharpen a dull blade or break in heavy use.
I do agree with this. If I'm processing a deer or doing a lot of heavy work then I'll pull out my Bucks and Benchmades. But my edc is usually a Case or GEC and they've never came up short.

Well, I think they make quality knives. Not everyone needs super steels. They also target people that want collectibles. I don't have any yet, but I sure wouldn't mind having a John Wayne collectible knife. I have several Case knives--maybe 8-- and none have a problem with fit and finish. I bet they put out tens of thousands of knives a year. Good, solid users. Farmers and ranchers use them in large numbers, I believe. Tony Bose says they're a good value. I don't like everything they make, and I don't like the thumb studs and pocket clips they are now putting on some otherwise traditional patterns, but I guess there's a market for them. I am going to keep giving them my business. And I say, God bless 'em!

My condolences to the OP. I am sitting here with a single blade back pocket trapper in hand, still wondering how I happened to luck into such a beautiful thing! TB61546 154-CM originally in burnt amber bone, which I died an emerald green. The clip blade on these is a thing of beauty and it's actually one of the few folding knives I regularly use for cutting food. A little bigger than I normally carry, and not flawless in fit and finish, but it feels just right in my hand, and the angle of the blade when opened is just right for cutting. Did I mention that the clip blade is beautiful, and made of 154CM? And the blade itself was actually ground flawlessly when new, though my subsequent touch-ups have altered that a bit. I hope this keeps happening to Case, and to me!

I like Case. I don't love Case. I have several, but don't buy them like I do GECs, so I'm not hater. But I gotta say, everything eisman eisman wrote here seems to ring true, for better or for worse.

I like Case. I don't love Case. I have several, but don't buy them like I do GECs, so I'm not hater. But I gotta say, everything eisman eisman wrote here seems to ring true, for better or for worse.

I see the reasoning behind his argument but it's entirely one-sided so I can't agree.

If CASE did not issue the admittedly often tasteless collector runs, it would not in all likelihood been able to remain in business, it brings in the money. But it is only an aspect of their knives. The basic patterns and standard bones Chestnut, Amber, Yellow Delrin etc all offer the consumer a decently made pocket-knife in very attractive scales that you can buy without too much bother, so you can ignore the garish collector themed runs if you want. As for Americans prioritising price over everything else, I can't say I'm not an American but it's a fairly universal tendency borne often out of necessity. As I'm not American, CASE are 'foreign' knives to me and like many people this itself can be a draw;) But let's look at the price/collector notion, it doesn't really hold up. 'Collectors' have become so besotted by GEC lately that they'll fork out I don't know, 200-800 Dollars for various knives when these are often only made of common Bone or Wood and almost exclusively in carbon steel, one of the cheapest to manufacture;) CASE offers the consumer the CASE/Bose Collaboration knives for those after premium steel and or better finish. Moreover, 'collectors' appear to be quite keen on spending money on CASE collectible runs ( It's beyond me why but...) paying a lot for the same or similar knife in various guises.

But as I say, it's only one aspect of CASE knives. I strongly disagree that CASE do not make quality knives. The Medium and Large Stockmen I have in Amber Bone are basically faultless and I've been using them on and off for 10 years, ditto the Humpback Stockman, Slimline Trapper, Penknife and Swaybacks. The Swayback in particular is excellently made: no gaps, no play, centred blade, great W&T flush in 3 positions-that's quality- and I could buy it without having to pre order or pay some vast secondhand price. It gets used a lot and after 2.5 years it's as good as ever, this meets my definition of quality. Certainly, if it were dressed up in some garish scales celebrating the life of Prince or whoever...;) I wouldn't touch it :D (nothing wrong with Prince's music but themed knives, barf!)

eIXye50.jpg

'Collectors' have become so besotted by GEC lately that they'll fork out I don't know, 200-800 Dollars for various knives when these are often only made of common Bone or Wood and almost exclusively in carbon steel, one of the cheapest to manufacture
True, but let's not forget that the GEC knives sell for around $100 retail... A fair price for what you get.
Therefore, I don't see how a 400-500% increase (just) for blade steel is worth it for the Bose Colabs... Just my opinion.

I buy what catches my eye and sometimes that’s an $11 Rough Ryder and sometimes it’s a custom. The law of diminishing returns tells me that there is little point in trying to improve on this tool unless it’s to impress myself.F6085E13-E9EB-4A9A-89AE-9F4315EBA47A.jpeg

I'm at a point in my life where 99.99% of the cutting tasks I have can be handled with 6 implements - 6" chef knife/ santoku, 5" serrated utility, 4" pairing, 4"-5" scissors, box cutter, and SAK Bantam.

Everything else is in the "want" category. Sometimes a simple less-expensive Case, sometimes a more expensive semi-custom knife.

True, but let's not forget that the GEC knives sell for around $100 retail... A fair price for what you get.
Therefore, I don't see how a 400-500% increase (just) for blade steel is worth it for the Bose Colabs... Just my opinion.

The Collab patterns are not generally available in ordinary CASE form: Eureka, Norfolk, Yukon, Pruner etc etc. So that's part of the reason.

As for GEC, well we're all enthusiasts but not uncritical I hope..It's getting to the stage of IF you can get one for 100 before they vanish as droppings ;) after that you are at the mercy of the secondary FOMO fuelled market and the prices are ridiculous. Simply, they are no longer in any way users but just objects for hoarding.

Collab Pruner

5TB0mLr.jpg

Back