What is a Boye dent

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a cutout in the release bar of a lockback knife. Keeps the release bar very low profile and close to the handle.

Oh, and what it does - when you grip the knife handle very hard, with the blade in the locked open position, it's possible that you'll press down on the lock release without realizing (with your palm).

The Boye Detent (designed by knifemaker David Boye) lessens the possibility that this will happen.

Oh, and what it does - when you grip the knife handle very hard, with the blade in the locked open position, it's possible that you'll press down on the lock release without realizing (with your palm).

The Boye Detent (designed by knifemaker David Boye) lessens the possibility that this will happen.

EXCELLENT EXPLAINATION

spydercoknivesdelicafrnhandlecomboedge.jpg

Delica without Boye dent

C11CFS.jpg

Delica with Boye dent

maximus otter

From SPYDERCO.COM (http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php#letterD) glossary:

DAVID BOYE DENT
Custom knifemaker David Boye removed a small arc or dent of metal from the lock bar lever of his knives. This modification . . . reduces the possibility of gripping the handle hard enough to depress the lock bar and accidentally unlock the blade during use.

DETENT
A minute divot or dimple machined into the tang of a folding knife blade. A ball bearing seated in the surface of the LinerLock drops into the detent hole when the knife is in the closed position to hold the knife blade closed inside the handle. "

Yup! Great first post though...lol wut?

Welcome, FORGOT_PASSWORD. :thumbup:

I think its an inspired first post. I mean, who thinks "I'll join a knife discussion forum, and the first thing I will do is search it to see if anybody has a question about a Boye dent is, and then I will answer the question!"

I love it.

LOL I got a REAL good laugh.. his first post answers a question from 2006 that was already answered.. man you just cant make this stuff up.. thanks FORGOTTEN PASSWORD I needed that laugh.

Welcome, FORGOT_PASSWORD. :thumbup:

I think its an inspired first post. I mean, who thinks "I'll join a knife discussion forum, and the first thing I will do is search it to see if anybody has a question about a Boye dent is, and then I will answer the question!"

I love it.

And with a citation no less!

Just ate some awesome enchiladas. Now I'm reading this thread. This is turning into a great Friday.

Hey. How many first posts like that have you seen before?

And how many "What's the best survival knife?" first posts have you seen before?

Two big thumbs up :thumbup::thumbup: to FORGET_PASSWORD for mixing things up, I say.

Hey. How many first posts like that have you seen before?

And how many "What's the best survival knife?" first posts have you seen before?

Two big thumbs up :thumbup::thumbup: to FORGET_PASSWORD for mixing things up, I say.

I don't think I have ever seen one with a meaningful citation. And now I want enchiladas.

I was a little stressed today, after reading this thread and laugh for several minutes my day has turned around. Bladeforums can be so entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back