What is a good multi for electric work and general duty?

kgriggs8

BANNED
I know this is a lame topic but I want to replace my old Leatherman with a better tool. The Leatherman has a few features I don't care for.

Here is what I don't like about my Leatherman.

1. Non locking blades.

2. Sharp handels when open. Makes it hard to grip.

3. All SS construction can make it slick when oil or water is invloved.

4. Tools are not easy to open esp when wearing gloves. I wear mechanics gloves most of the day so I would something that I could open with light gloves on.

5. Sometimes the pliers lock when cutting wire and I have to pry the jaws open and it is a pain.

6. The screwdriver bits are rather short. A little more reach would be a good thing.

7. The wire stripper doesn't work at all. I would love a multi that has a real wire stripper that will strip 14-18 gauge wire.

Sog has their new PowerPlay multitools here that may fit your requirements.

The website says they are "designed specifically for datacomm, telecom & electrical professionals." I don't have one of these but I do have an S61 Powerlock that works very well. The compound leverage is awesome.

The Sog tool looks pretty good, but I wish someone would make a multi-tool with true wire stripping jaws on them.

Leatherman has the Squirt EL from RadioShack. It has dedicated wire strippers in place of the pliers. The tools won't lock into place and it's rather small but it works great and I always keep one on me.

Yeah, I've seen that RadioShack Squirt. I meant I wished that someone would make a large wire-stripping multi-tool.

Yeah, I agree. The Squirt EL works great but is still small for some tasks. Maybe someone else here will chime in with an answer to your question. Good luck!

Klein tools:

TripSaver®

Unique multi-tool addresses the special needs of electricians and maintenance professionals while providing many other features handy on any job.
Compact, lightweight and very sturdy.
Produced from high-carbon, rust-resistant stainless steel.
Specially designed locking "L" handle snaps securely into the "L" channel, locking the fully opened blade or implement in place during use.
Features the following: Needle-Nose Pliers, Beveled Wire Cutter, Toothed Pipe Grippers, Files (coarse and fine), 5-Slot Wire Stripper (10-18) AWG, Wire-Looping Hole, Scraper, Awl/Reamer, Serrated Sheepsfoot Knife, Clip-Point Knife, Standard/Metric Ruler
Drywall Saw, Locking "L" Handle, #1 and #2 Phillips Hex Bits, Small-Slotted Hex Bit, Large-Slotted Hex Bit, 1/4" Socket Adapter, Lanyard Hole, Nylon Pouch.

Pictured: 1016
Line Art: 1016

Cat. No. Overall Length Weight (lbs.)

1016 5-3/4"
(143) .95

All dimensions are in inches and (millimeters) except where indicated.

Also:

http://www.theknifestore.com/Bear155EL.html

Bear 155EL / Multi-Tool

FEATURES NAME: Electrician's Bear Jaws
FEATURES: 4 in. closed. All stainless construction. Tools include needlenose pliers with wire cutter and various size strippers, serrated sheepsfoot blade, Phillips screwdriver, can/bottle opener, clip point blade, large and medium screwdrivers, metal file, ruler and lanyard loop. All tools lock. Black nylon belt sheath.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$42.25

I also swore I saw a craftsman version, but can't seem to locate it now.

kgriggs8 said:
I know this is a lame topic but I want to replace my old Leatherman with a better tool. The Leatherman has a few features I don't care for.

Here is what I don't like about my Leatherman.

1. Non locking blades.

2. Sharp handels when open. Makes it hard to grip.

3. All SS construction can make it slick when oil or water is invloved.

4. Tools are not easy to open esp when wearing gloves. I wear mechanics gloves most of the day so I would something that I could open with light gloves on.

5. Sometimes the pliers lock when cutting wire and I have to pry the jaws open and it is a pain.

6. The screwdriver bits are rather short. A little more reach would be a good thing.

7. The wire stripper doesn't work at all. I would love a multi that has a real wire stripper that will strip 14-18 gauge wire.

I would refer you to some earlier threads on this topic at ;

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380539

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379318

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311111&page=3

Addressing specifically some of your complaints/issues unfortunately all that I know of are made in all stainless steel .

The Klien trip saver mentioned above and another one that was made by Buck ( no longer in pruction but can sometimes still be found on ebay ) both had a blade with 5 or so half circle tapered notches cut into a blade for specific wire sizes .

Crescent had a tool ( Actually made for them by Bear Jaws ) and currently Bear Jaws and Leatherman have multis with electrician plier type heads as opposed to needle nose pliers that the others have .

The Klien and the buck are the only ones with locking blades .

As far as being comfortable in your hand I would suggest either the Buck or the Bear Jaws .

Jamming the plier head while cutting wire is discussed in another thread here , A common problem thread back at ;

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380539

One more that has been out of prodoction for 50 years or more was made by L' electric in france . These occasionally are found on ebay . Considering age and conditio are really to be considered more of a collectable . They did not have electrician pliers jaw but had a notched blade like the buck and Klien tripsaver .

Stubby scredrivers ? Again a common problem . Considering that these are multi tools we have to realize that in order to design a "' multi " it is necessary to make some of the blades shorter in order to acommadate the inward folding plier head .

I feel that I have only parially assisted in your quest but that is most of what I know in this category .Hope it helps in your search .

Back