What is a good pair of household scissors to buy?

Im not looking for scissors that will run me 500 bucks but would like something that will last and that can be sharpened by hand. Not wanting cheaply made scissors from china. I have no idea on scissor brands and looking on the net I am coming across the cheap china scissors. Also not looking for scissors to cut meat for cooking , just cutting paper and fabric

Im not looking for scissors that will run me 500 bucks but would like something that will last and that can be sharpened by hand. Not wanting cheaply made scissors from china. I have no idea on scissor brands and looking on the net I am coming across the cheap china scissors. Also not looking for scissors to cut meat for cooking , just cutting paper and fabric
Clauss, Fiskars, Westcott, Gingher are all decent affordable brands. I don't think Clauss and Gingher are china made, not sure about the others.

Fiskars & Gingher are made in Italy, Central America and a third country, not China. For paper & Fabric, those are two excellent choices with Fiskars being the best deal for imo. Also you want a scissor that has a screw together pivot. Never buy the pinned ones..

I had an old Fiskars, that my daughter borrowed and lost, one made in Finland. In the BX all the Fiskars I see say "Made in China". My old Fiskars had a nut/screw of joint made of metal, the new ones are part plastic and I had one break very quickly. I got a pair of 4-inch scissors made in Germany with a metal screw/nut joint from a surplus outfit, maybe Sportsman Guide. John

The shears list just above are excellent. I have a pair and am very happy with them, but they might be a little big for what Metal Man 007 wants. John

I just got a Sportsman's Guide catalog and the scissors I mentioned are "New U.S. Military Surplus German-made scissors". I have two pair and I have been very satisfied with their performance. The item No is: 2110-698752. John

Get an older pair of Fiskars. They are really good. I keep a pair of stainless steel Klein electrician's scissors in my backpack that are well-made.

Im not looking for scissors that will run me 500 bucks but would like something that will last and that can be sharpened by hand. Not wanting cheaply made scissors from china. I have no idea on scissor brands and looking on the net I am coming across the cheap china scissors. Also not looking for scissors to cut meat for cooking, just cutting paper and fabric

Then XSHIRO would be a great option for you. It costs $37.99 and offers a lifetime warranty. Build quality is very good; stainless steel materials with hand-adjustable tension screw & finger holes.

I'm a fan of Japanese goods for all things sharp (e.g. kitchen knives, nail clippers, garden shears) and scissors are no exception. I've got a number of household scissors from Japan and most of them are $4 - $8. A better one (like the Silky on the far right) would be $12-18 depending on size. I buy them from Amazon Japan. Note: while most of the Japanese branded scissors are made in Japan, some models might be made in China (look at the descriptions or pictures to be sure).

If you do a lot of fabric cutting, then getting a pair of dedicated tailoring scissors is the way to go. In that case look for the one by Kai.

scissors.jpg

Back