What is a platen for?

DgrantD

BANNED
This is a total newb question, but what exactly is a platen for? I used mine last night for the first time (first time grinding at all) and it is not very aggresive at grinding.

Thanks

Grant

What kind of grinder do you have? I've seen some that the platen was only good for land. Most of the time it's indended to give you a flat grinding surface, though.

The Platen is used for flat grinding(and I track belts off one edge or other to pick up smaller curves, and for various things). Being as you have a KMG1, I'd assume(and judging from pictures, it seems to be) that you have a real, functional platen. What exactly were you trying to grind(profile, bevel, etc)? and what steel and what belts were you using?

Some use the platen for profiling. But you couldn't pay me to do that. I prefer the contact wheel for that procedure. Most use it to flat grind blades, and taper tangs. I taper tangs on mine, but finish them up on a 9 disc, which gets them flatter.
Platen grinding is not as aggresive as contact wheel grinnding, but you can make it a little easier, on both you, and the machine, by installing a pyroceram liner on the platen. It will keep friction, and heat down, always a good thing, plus it will stay flat for a lot longer than the metal platen material.

The platen on my Burr King is about worthless. I picked up my grinder after it had been used for a couple years in a manufacturing plant, so the platen is far from flat.

I actually just put it back on not too long ago. I do 99% of my work on the contact wheel. I think the only thing I have really done on the platen is taper tangs and to try to get some of the material out of the big choils before I go at it with the file.

I only do hollow grinding, probably because I dont have a good platen, and I like the looks of a deep hollow grind on large knives. But one of these days, hopefully soon, I will try to do a folding knife, and I do admit, flat grinds look better on small knives.

I think a disc grinder is in my near future, either that or a surface grinder, or both. :) Can you do flat grinds with a disc grinder?

Anyway, just my $0.02, and not much content.:)

Back