What is a SAK to you?

Sort of a philosophical question that I have been thinking about. What actually is a SAK? Do you consider it a multitool with a blade, or do you consider it a knife with added tools? And why? To me it is the latter. The way I see it, is that is basically a scout knife pattern that can be had in many configurations.

S.- swiss
A.- army
K.- knife

Not

S.- swiss
A.- army
T.- tool

To me what Victorinox makes is multi function pocket knives , pocket knives with additional implements incorporated.

An electricians knife, an MIL-K-818 AKA " demo knife " , scout or camp knife, sportsmesser or " sportsman's knife " , an engineer's knife, a harness knife , a pipe knife, cattle knife, or farriers knife, and the list goes on.
They're all called knives because they are all pocket knives with additional impliments incorporated.

I'm willing to bet that before leatherman came along nobody would have thought of these as anything but a form of pocket knife.

I believe it's pretty cut and dry.
By design they are absolutely and indisputably a pocket knife first and foremost, but regardless it doesn't change what it does and how it gets used.

People can call them or think of them as whatever they want, but I believe it is a technical matter and not a matter of opinion.

Yes I know Victorinoxs' blister packaging often has the word tool or multitool on it , but I think it's just a matter of staying socially acceptable where knives commonly being looked down on.
Surely they can't be dumb enough to actually think a very classic 2 bladed equal end pen knife like the pocket pal is a " 2 function tool " as it says on the package.

I agree that the sak is a multifunctional pocket knife.
What defines the line in my mind is simply how the tool is built. The definitive point is found in simply looking at the tool; is it built around the knife blade and cutting or is it built around a collapsible pair of pliers that just happen to have a knife blade as an after thought? The SwissTools are multi tools. The other Saks are pocket knives.

To get even more philosophical and long-winded, just for the fun of it, I'd say that a sak, or any decent knife, is a symbol of individual freedom. A tool to help find solutions to your daily challenges, and hopefully strength and independence therein. A fun toy to widle a walking stick and a great tool to use while teaching your son or daughter so maybe one day they can also enjoy the freedoms it represents.
But it's late and I'm about out of words, so I'll hush a while.lol.

What defines the line in my mind is simply how the tool is built. The definitive point is found in simply looking at the tool; is it built around the knife blade and cutting or is it built around a collapsible pair of pliers that just happen to have a knife blade as an after thought? The SwissTools are multi tools. The other Saks are pocket knives.
Exactly.
And that's why they have " swiss army knife " and " swisstool ", they know that theres a difference.
Even if they are quick to call them multitools to stay acceptable.

An absolutely brilliant and timeless design that has its place in any setting. I use them like legos, take them apart change them around, put them back together and never get bored :)

Back