what is a scandi?

m. wohlwend

BANNED
I studied the Mora from Sweden. Here is what I discovered.
2011-02-25_16-42-28_273.jpg

Here is a measurement from the top of the grind to the edge.

2011-02-25_16-43-01_621.jpg

Here is the same .320 at the tip. It is obvious the angle of the grind changes from the rear of the blade to the tip.

How does this work when it comes to sharpening? Because mora's are HOLLOWGROUND. Not flat ground.

And what's with this mythical 12.5 degree grind angle?

Here is a photo of a 123 block clamped to the blade. I used a height scribe to make a straight line across the front of the block.

2011-02-25_17-25-53_57.jpg

Woops... look at that not even 12 degrees. More like 10......

I have known this since 2007. Just the first time I bothered to post about it.

I have used the 12.5 degree guide. I have 3 sitting in my shop. They make a knife that cuts good.

My knives cut BETTER when I grind them around 10 degrees, leave the edge around 1/32 of an inch, then convex the lower part of the grind to the edge.

These things that I have discovered about the Mora have influenced the way I make a "scandi".

As you may notice, this does not follow conventional wisdom that floats around on the net. Can't help that. Just know what I have observed in my shop. And I have always made knives my way..... :)

Sweet and interesting, I can't really make out the measurement that you did, what is it? Do you think the distance from the edge to the top of the grind matters?

Do you use a jig or a fixture to make your knives at 10 degrees then and then convex the edge?

Mark you make some awesome knives and I love my little green EDC. Have my heart set on a scandi from you.

My best friend's dad always said that an 11 degree grind with a convex secondary makes the perfect knife :p. Interesting analysis--I was honestly expecting a micro-bevel vs. zero-ground debate. I suspect that the grind angle change near the tip is to increase tip strength for drilling, but I could be wrong

And all I want to know is what's the middle knife called? I like it.

Well, that was a one off I made months ago. I was going to make a small flat ground hunter. Instead I put my scandi grind on it.....lol

It has a 4 inch handle and 3 inch blade so it is bigger than northerns knife. Kinda like a big brother I suppose.

Sweet and interesting, I can't really make out the measurement that you did, what is it? Do you think the distance from the edge to the top of the grind matters?

The distance at the back is .320 of a inch. That distance determines the angle of the grind. Thee angle dictates how the knife will cut.

Do you use a jig or a fixture to make your knives at 10 degrees then and then convex the edge?
I use a tool rest....

Mark you make some awesome knives and I love my little green EDC. Have my heart set on a scandi from you.
Thanks!

Well, that was a one off I made months ago. I was going to make a small flat ground hunter. Instead I put my scandi grind on it.....lol

It has a 4 inch handle and 3 inch blade so it is bigger than northerns knife. Kinda like a big brother I suppose.

And what did you do with it?

Rocky, I sold it. :) I just made a sheath for it. I guess I should make a pattern before it leaves the shop.

I personally like the scandi grind as thin and as flat as possible.

I find it really easy to take a scandi or convex edge that is too thin and then make it a little convex or thicker so it fits my needs.

What I hate to do is to take a thick edge and make it thinner to my needs. Takes so much longer.

Real "scandi" knives have a variety of grinds and edges sometimes very uneven so I really wouldn't go by them as any sort of a benchmark to try to emulate.

Also for some people a thin edged scandi in say 01 or 1095 may need to be convexed depending on the angle where I think the 3v ones are strong enough to keep totally flat.

Back