What is EDC?

To me EDC means what it says, something you can carry no matter what, Every Day Carry. If you need to adjust what knife you are carrying based on the company you might keep, the venue, or the climate/environment, then it is NOT an EDC.

For me I have seem to have discovered a very few EDC knives. An EDC better not be embarrassing to open in public settings, should be capable for any task you might encounter(within reason), and should not make you feel like you have left needed capabilities at home to appease the sheeple.

What knives have done this for me so far?

Victorinox Champ (or other similar models)
CH Knives CH3001
Ontario Rat2
Leatherman Juice series
Spyderco Delica

I would like to include the Cold Steel Code 4, the Rat1 in D2, my ZT0566, Benchmade Ritter Grip S30V, Byrd Cara Cara 2, Harnds Talisman, but these all would be rather hard to pull out in mixed company and not cause gasps of fear. I would assume that Victorinox will be high on the list of never scaring people.

What other knives do people here think that might be truly classed as EDCs without reservation? I assume no specific country. I am a Canadian living in Chile and knife laws here aren't very clear to the police and are rather arbitrarily enforced. Some knives that are fully acceptable in the US will be clearly illegal in the UK.

There are many! What are the basic laws that are recognized buy the local police in your area?

There are many! What are the basic laws that are recognized buy the local police in your area?
That is the big problem with my question. What people can call EDC will depend upon their local laws in a big way. I just want to know what people can say are EDCs according to my stipulations, where they live. I don't expect consensus, but rather new views and ideas that I might not have.

Spyderco Dragonfly
Pretty much all small and medium traditional folders
Buck Vantage Series
Benchmade Mini Griptilian
Benchmade Valet

This is a few that come to mind.

I guess the only EDC I have is Victorinox SwissTool Spirit (and previously SwissChamp). I always have it in my backpack/murse, but not on my belt or in my pocket.

EDC in California is what I'm allowed to carry by folks that have no idea what the difference is between a manual and spring assist.
Autos are a different story out here since it's a crime to push a button to open a knife blade. That's ok though. Ignorance is normal out here when it comes to common sense.

What about adjusting for dress? Every day should technically mean what it says. But how many carry a single knife every day of the week for months at a time? I usually do actually, currently a SAK Pruner, but I do carry a differently knife with formal wear.

Last edited:
Truth to be told, if we were all practical about it we would all carry a Vic Alox Cadet or something similar. This will do most of our chores and not cause most people to wet their britches. However, I still carry my Delica.

The answer is going to greatly depend on where one lives and what one does for a living and hobbies.

For me, the only knife that would fit the bill as true EDC would be a leatherman micro tool - Juice PS4 would be my choice. Anything bigger could be seen as violating my company's "no weapons" policy and could freak out co workers. It's cheap enough to travel with (if TSA steals it from checked luggage, no biggie). I also keep one in my backpacking/hiking medical kit, so it fits both ends of the spectrum.

All that said, I am a knife nut, so I of course rotate knives (my excuse for buying more is to have lots of niche players).

I mostly carry some kind of small folder such as a SA in Alox or small Buck or Schrade stockman, although to me EDC means carrying a knife in general on a daily basis, and I switch it out as my mood changes, but almost always have one. Or two. Mostly traditional. :D What I have been trying off and on since I also like small fixed blades, is carrying a pocket sheath with the SA and a 2.5 to 3 inch neck knife, such as a Duck Childress, LT Wright, or Avila. It gets a little bulky so, I put the small knife in my pocket, and the pocket sheath in a drawer at work. Just trying out new ways to carry things. Most people at work know I carry a knife, and are not bothered when I explain it is easier and safer than carrying a pair of scissors, plus I get asked a lot to cut small things for them, break down boxes or open mail.

Last edited:
I wake up in the morning and piss excellence therefore I EDC a Med-lg fixed blade (plus a Bradford guardian 3) both on my belt. I give exactly zero thought to what other people think.

To be clear to you an edc isn't a knife that you do carry everywhere every single day but a knife that you could when legal ? So if there are lots of times where you can't or wouldn't carry it then it's not really an edc knife ?
This is how I interpreted it, and it actually makes sense to me.
Since were just talking knives and not multitools ( a sak is a knife first ) my Vic recruit or tinker would really be all I ever needed, however even a 9"oal fixed blade could qualify as a true edc for me because I don't go anywhere it wouldn't be appropriate. my clothing doesn't effect what I carry either, because I've always got a belt and don't go around in sweats or athletic shorts.

Now knives that I think would always be true edc's for people would be
Pretty much anything under 3.5" that's not too aggressive looking.

Last edited:
Going by your definition of EDC, I really doubt that 90% of the people here have one. Say I carry a knife everyday except when I go to a government building, then it's no longer an EDC. I carry a knife mostly everyday but it's not the same one absolutely everyday, therefore I can't say I EDC a knife.

OP - Playing Devil's advocate here... You listed 5 items you consider EDC. Do you carry them all every day? Your premise of EDC would suggest it! Or is it an EDC rotation? Most of us EDC something, usually a handful to be changed out with our moods or workloads.

What about adjusting for dress? Every day should technically mean what it says. But how many carry a single knife every day of the week for months at a time? I usually do actually, currently a SAK Pruner, but I do carry a differently knife with formal wear.
14798435-Small-schoolboy-raises-his-hand-for-answer-isolated-on-white-background-Stock-Photo.jpg

After getting back into knives a short time ago I've gone through about a dozen different models trying to find a good fit. And after all that I've come right back to what I should have known all along would work best for me for EDC: a medium stockman. I carry mine all the time everywhere. I do supplement it with a SAK, however, and that changes depending on activity and destination. It might be a Walker or Tinker at home, a Woodsman/Huntsman hiking, or a Rambler in town.

By your definition, in my situation most knives 3.25" and smaller would fit the bill, especially non-flippers. Something like a Small CRK, BM 940, or Delica would probably go completely unnoticed in my community (I have all of those FWIW). Something like a ZT 0452 would draw some attention, but as long as I opened it for a purpose--open, cut, back in pocket-- I doubt anyone would really care.

On the other hand, if I'm walking through the park mindlessly flipping something open and shut--just about any knife-- it probably would get noticed and likely elicit a discussion with law enforcement, in spite of technically being legal. Context is important.

As for my personal definition of EDC, It's whatever I throw in my pocket that brings me joy. The joy may come from a capable work knife that's being put to full use (PM2), something that's pocket jewlery for Sunday dress (0460), or a maybe just the sense of feeling prepared on a day when real use likelihood is slim-to-none (I'll probably chosse the Southard again today).

Last edited:
Reactions: P2P
I rotate what knife I carry because I own so many. I want to enjoy as many of them as I can.

I don't care what non knife people think. Catering to them only enables and reinforces their position.

I carry a Spyderco Military more than any other knife. Nobody ever seems to notice or care. If I had to pick just one knife that would be it.

It appears practicality and common sense have been displaced by a random term that has become commonplace in the "tacticool" community the connotations of this permutation becoming purely semantic for the sake of discussion only. So in answer to your question singularity35, a great question for this thread by the way,I just call it a knife. The one I deem appropriate for me at that given time. Whom ever can call it what they wish.

Back