What is in the works at CPK?

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Feb 25, 2021.

1. The Amazing Virginian

The Amazing Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I think you forgot remainder of the boot daggers. Probably somewhere up there with "Remainder of the DEK1 (standard and swedged, Delta 3V and AEBL)" and "Remaining K18 swords (10-20 of them this summer."

You have a lot going on, young man! LOL.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    woodysone, vkp78 and Odog27 like this.
  2. Phill50

Phill50 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Maybe? a tax deductible trip to Blade show west should be in the “works” and bring lots of daggers!

3. johnnytoxin

johnnytoxin Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2010
    Hi Nathan. Any chance you could give us any more info on this? Specs, lock, steel etc....

woodysone, vkp78 and Odog27 like this.
  4. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    It's a folding version of our Field Knife. Being my first attempt at producing a folder in any quantities I'm going to keep it relatively simple. There are a few somewhat innovative things I can do with that due to the capabilities of some of our machines that you probably don't see other makers attempt but it will fundamentally be very simple construction frame lock. It won't be diesel and over built looking, but it will be both very strong and very durable by the nature of its design and construction so you won't need to worry about taking care of it or babying it. I abuse my Sebenza pretty bad and it shows. This will tolerate my normal lack of concern for the wellbeing of my personal knives.

~4" blade. HRC 61 Delta 3V. No bearings or flipper on my first folders, will look like a Sebenza.

I usually consume a folder in a year or two and my Sebby has been going strong for probably three or four years at this point. It needs a regrind (honestly it needs a harder heat treat) and it could probably use some other love too. I'm going to need a new knife within a year or so. I plan on it being my new folding Field Knife.

5. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I’m not a machinist. And I’m asking this out of curiosity... and because I’m left handed.
    Is there any easy way to “mirror” the programming, resulting in a lefty version?
    It’s not a deal breaker for me to buy a right handed CPK frame lock. Just wondering.

6. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    No, screw you guys

7. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    That's a pretty sinister request...

8. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Mornin' Marc

9. Grenock

Grenock Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Hey brother! Heading out to the hills today or already out there?

10. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    I'll get out today if the weather lets off. It's snowing tracks in as fast as they're made right now so I have a good excuse to drink coffee and catch up on Nate's plans. Pretty sure I saw something about daggers going to the next blade show and that it would be Bladeshow West (I'm sure I read that right, right?) ;)

11. Odog27

Odog27 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Very dexterous use of language...

12. JBC_Hunter

JBC_Hunter

Jan 9, 2015
    Do you plan on having an over-travel stop on the frame lock so it doesn’t get weak or sprung over time?

jus_gus, woodysone, vkp78 and 2 others like this.
  13. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Busy busy!

jus_gus and Odog27 like this.
  14. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    So, thumb studs, or maybe a MKT-style "fuller"? What style opening mechanism?

15. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I agree, and have never owned one for that reason but I do plan to jump on board now that they're switching to S45VN at RC61-62.

jus_gus, Mike157, TRfromMT and 3 others like this.
  16. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    I agree, and have never owned one for that reason but I do plan to jump on board now that they're switching to S45VN at RC61-62.

Mike157, SharpPancake and Odog27 like this.
  17. mpjustin

mpjustin Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Something that would be able to cross the Canadian boarder would be great .

Kbun, jus_gus, benchrest308 and 3 others like this.
  18. Jo the Machinist

Jo the Machinist KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 17, 2015
    @Nathan the Machinist This is a great idea!

Box_Opener, jus_gus, Odog27 and 12 others like this.
  19. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    I second this motion! It'd be great to see you guys out here!!

20. Wood5045

Wood5045 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 22, 2016
    This would be awesome and in my backyard no less!:thumbsup::thumbsup: