What is it with plain edges?

So Ive been around here for a little while and I notice alot of you collectors and users prefer a plain edge? Is there a reason for this, other than longer cutting surface? Am I missing something?

I notice I seem to like serrations, allthough Im not sure why.

Serrations suck to sharpen. Also plain edges are better for slicing which is what a lot of people need their knives to do. Serrations are great for sawing though. So if I'm out cutting fishing line or rope I'll grab a serrated knife. Great to have an option like that sometimes.

Other than sawing trees or extremely crusty hard bread, plain edge for me.

im a slicer by profession, so my answer is biased.

Although after hearing so many testimonies of serrated I might just keep one in my car for whatever need arises.

I love sharpening my own knives using water stones so serrated is a pain for that too.

Same reasons for me, pain to sharpen, not as slicy...

And I don't like the look of them at all.

Easier to sharpen, doesn't catch or rip.

Serrations have their uses though, if someone doesn't sharpen their knife often (or at all) it will still be useable longer. Cuts certain things much better. Doesn't simply slide if dull.

For quick and dirty cutting serrated is the way to go...plain edge is more finesse....serrated is a PITA to sharpen....plain edge is easier....serrated will give a rough quick cut...plain will give a razor smooth shave.......so next time you go to the barber which razor will you ask him to bring the serrated or smooth.....JMO

combo edge doesn't do much for serration or plain edge, the only one that does work for me is the Victorinox Trekker.

I definately prefer plain edge. If I need to saw, I'll use a saw. Doesn't have to be big either, I'm comfortable with the Leatherman saws.

If you're into serrated edges, check out Spyderco's Spydie-edge.

I personaly think they look stupid on just about any knife andthere isn't a situation where serrations are better than a plain edge unless u like to saw stuff. Even then I could probably get rid of a small sapling with my plain edge faster than I could with my one serrated knife.

Sharpening is half the fun.I like to see how thin abd far I can take an edge with different steels and serrations don't really let me do that. That being said there is a special place in my heart for some fully serrated spyderco.

I do not mind some serrated blades, but the smooth edge look a lot better and can usually perform the tasks you need them to do if sharpened. They are also easier to sharpen than serrations and do offer a longer cutting edge.

Technically you get a longer cutting surface with a serrated edge.

I think most of us prefer plain edges because you get a cleaner cut and they're easier to sharpen. My opinion is that they look better too. If I had a use for emergency heavy-duty cutting I might want a serrated edge. Since most of what I do is utility, I prefer a plain edge.

...Is there a reason for this, other than longer cutting surface? Am I missing something?

I notice I seem to like serrations, allthough Im not sure why.

Actually serration lengthen the cutting area, each serration effectively adds a little more surface.

Draw a straight line and directly underneath draw a line like a serrated edge, if we're to straighten out the serrated line it would probably be 15-20% longer.

Haha, thats about what I was expecting. ive seen the spyderedge too much for me. Im really starting to like the microtech ultratech and utx 70 with their D/E one side serrated the othe plain. I htink i want a ultratech in plain edge tho

Plain edges are good for anything. They were around for many years before the advent of serrated in a knife. Originally a bread knife in my opinion.
Serrated is only good for certain things, are a pita to sharpen and in my opinion are just plain ugly.

To each his own.

As you can see, everyone's got a perspective. Ford vs. Chevy. Lots of threads on serration here if you want to pursue the fine points.

Each works. Knife cuts are either a pushing cut or a pulling cut (sawing). Most agree serrations generally do sawing cuts better. Straight edges absolutely do push cuts better. You can shave wood for kindling fires and do general woods camping tasks equally well with either, IMHO.

I like serrated here in Florida for cutting palm fronds, vines and all the prehistoric greenery we have in the woods down here. I like straight for other tasks. Some guys hate combo blades; I find that with some practice it's like having two blades in one.

Combo edge rulz!!!

So often on the forum, I see posts talking about their edc making a great slicer, but that doesn't work for me. I use my knife to cut stuff with no need or care for pretty edges, and a combo edge blade is perfect for my uses.
And besides, try getting a perfect pencil tip with your plain edge, you end up with it looking all boxy and stupid.

3BC31356-C186-49F2-9C15-F7501753CA92-3057-000003CE7A6847BE_zps43a08c0e.jpg

Speaking only for myself, I tend to buy my tools based on function and comfort, with looks being a distant third, and although combo edges may look ugly, they function beautifully, and that means money well spent.

Last edited:
I had quite a stint with plain edge knives...and have gone back to combo edge knives for work. I roof and I also deliver papers (gotta support that knife hobby somehow!), and I find combo edges work best for me when I'm working, excluding when I'm sharpening a pencil on the job. Recurve Emersons with serrations are the bees knees, and they are extremely efficient. Outside of work I carry plain edge knives. All good. Just different.

Why not love 'em both?

I ain't leaving out any reasons to acquire more sharp things.

Serrations (at least the Spyderco ones) can push cut really well, as long as the material you are cutting is thin enough to fit into one of the scallops (Cardboard, Papers, clamshells). I find that Spyderco's serrations do a pretty good job of guiding the material into one of the scallops too.

Back