What is it you like more about the Bush Operators?

Fletcher Knives

STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO
I have a question for everyone. I have been getting tons and tons of requests to start making the Bush Operators and Bush Operator XL's again. I was curious what you guys liked more about those than the Operator 425 and Operator 575.

When I designed the new operator models, I made a bunch of improvements on the handle ergos and some small changes to the blades that I think make them better knives, but they have never been as popular as the original BO and BOXL.

Is it just an aesthetic thing, or is there something else going on that makes the originals better for you guys? One customer told me he just liked the look of a straight clip point more than an upswept. I do think the new handle designs are WAY better. Let me know guys. I make these for all of you, so if it needs a redesign, then it needs a redesign.

Is the 425 the same blade length as the original BO? If so then the 425 would definitely work for me personally. Aesthetically I can see why some might prefer the straight clip, and it could be argued that the straight clip is stronger as well. But in survival applications I find the new style clip more functional in more uses. I thought the original BO had a little shorter blade than the 425 and I am just looking for something more carry-friendly here than my 575 :)

I prefer the straight clip because where I am normally outdoors (my home state of Texas) I think the 575 could be considered a bowie, in which case its illegal to carry.

I coincidently just picked up a new BOXL off of the exchange. I received it today. I sold a standard Bush Operator a year or so ago and I've regretted it ever since.

First I must admit that I have not owned the new blades so this is not a fair opinion of use as much as it's an aesthetics observation. I prefer the blade shape of the Bush Operator and BOXL. I've never been a real fan of clip points. I like drop point blades for my general use and camp knives and the original blade shape leans more that way to me. I also admit that maybe I don't have the advanced skills to truly appreciate the improved clip. I do, however like an upswept blade for some of my hunting and skinning knives but that is a different blade shape discussion all together. It will be interesting to hear the opinions. My guess is the original blade shape has more aesthetic appeal. It's a damn sexy sexy blade!!

I would love to handle one of the new blades with the improved ergos. The BOXL and Bush Operator are so comfortable that I find it hard to believe that they can be improved upon. My BOXL melts into my hand. The palm swell feels as if the knife was custom fit to me. That said, I'm certain the new handle is even more phenomenal.

Again my opinion is based on looks and personal preference more than a fair evaluation of performance between the two styles.

The Boxl and 575 are pretty much the same to me other than appearance. I think of the 575 as a more refined Boxl. The Bush Operator though is a great blade and is quite a bit different in hand and in looks than the Operators and I like it quite a bit more, it performs quite a wide range of tasks. I am also not a big fan of clip points, they just scream 'survival knife' to me but that is just a personal opinion. Bring forth the Bush Operator.

I am also not a big fan of clip points, they just scream 'survival knife' to me but that is just a personal opinion. Bring forth the Bush Operator.

Me too, and with my lifestyle that is exactly why I like the 575 and 425 :) ...but I think there are niches for both styles. Or...if Dylan really doesn't want to repeat a model, perhaps a drop point version would be more appealing to those who do not like clips?

Purely aesthetics for me, from a looking-at-pictures-on-the-internet perspective since I've never held either. I own a pocket kilo so I can guess that they feel pretty nice though. Always wanted a BOXL, plus the newer designs just never spoke to me like several of the early ones.

Aesthetically I can see why some might prefer the straight clip, and it could be argued that the straight clip is stronger as well. But in survival applications I find the new style clip more functional in more uses.

Mist what type of specific uses would you find the clip more useful? I find, for me, the tip of the BOXL is very useful for finer work but again I know I have limited abilities compared to a more experienced woodsman and user.

Mist what type of specific uses would you find the clip more useful? I find, for me, the tip of the BOXL is very useful for finer work but again I know I have limited abilities compared to a more experienced woodsman and user.

It's little things really, but depending on circumstance they can be big things. I like the finer point for things like digging the meat of black walnuts out of their shells, and the finer tip does less damage when digging out splinters and thorns that break off below the surface of the skin. I find the finer point of the new clip is better at boring holes in small pieces of wood to make a quick line tensioner for a poncho or tarp shelter, which makes adjustment easier than untying knots and re-tying them. Also it's better for making smaller holes in a piece of bamboo or a water bottle to make a field-expedient prefilter for questionable water before boiling. I've done other threads on my preference for and uses of these types of finer points, but with other knives, and I won't disrespect Dylan by posting pics of knives made by other companies here in his forum. Instead I am going to finish the one I have been working on for the O-575, but got behind on because my life got really hectic when I moved...and because my 575 got me fussed at by local authorities :eek: I'll try to be a bit more descrete this time :D

Dylan, I just saw this. Im also going to say its just a looks thing brother. I snatched up a boxl and bo both. And maybe because the 425 and 575 are so similar, that there really isnt a need or desire to pick up one as I dont think they are offering me anything i dont already have with my bush operator and my boxl.

I like the blade of the BOXL. The handle feels smaller and more nimble too. I really like both. I would buy another BOXL if you start making them.... Maybe 2 :cool:

I'm one of the guys who has emailed regarding a BO. I've never had one in my hand so I'll have to admit that beyond some basic knowledge about what I want in a knife, it's purely cosmetic at this point. I can tell you that I will commit to buying at least one right this second if you'll commit to make it. I also have a coworker who has the hots for one as well.

The 425 and 575 shapes and angles just don't do it for me like the BO and BOXL do.

If I could find a used BO or BOXL I'd buy it now. Missed one on here a couple months ago.

kyle at exosdefense dot com

Thanks for asking, btw.

Back