1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

What is pyremite

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by John L, Jan 11, 2012.

1. John L

John L Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 28, 2004
    I just received a full scale catalogue of Remington knives. Most knives were offered in stag, bone, black(ebony I assume) a few oddballs and an incredible amount of "pyremite". What exactly is pyremite? Thanks

2. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    John, as far as I know it was simply Remington's in-house name for celluloid.

Edited to add excerpt from a Knife World article from 2000:

The early makers of celluloid handled knives used terms for their products like pyremite, pyralin, perfected stag, shell, pearl, ivoroy, composition and other names that they found suitable for the purpose of marketing. In looking through the catalogs, the word "celluloid" is avoided as much as possible. The reason appears to be the flammability issue. If you dissect the pyremite & pyralin terms used by Remington, you will discover the word "pyro," which means fire. I suspect that the public was not aware of this in the purchase of a knife with this type handle material.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. John L

John L Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Thansk Elliot

4. thawk

thawk Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Pyralin was used by Schrade Cut Co and Western States Cutlery too. I looked around on the Internet, it was a trademark for Dupont.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was also used for coverings for drums, combs, pens, jewelry boxes, and stringed instruments, as well as toiletware.