What is "Sandvik"

wolfmann601

Gone, but not forgotton. RIP Ira.
I just bought my very first Delta-Z prototype knife with carbon fiber handles. The steel is called "Sandvik". Can someone explain this steel to me?....Thanks...wolf

Sandvik is a Swedish stainless steel. From the comments I have read in these forums on knives made with Sandvik steel, I think it is probably the best of the lower priced stainless steels (in comparision to 420, 425, and 440A).

Wolfman,
Mr Beck is on the money! Sandvik is a Swedish steel company. They have various grades or "types" of steel. One of the more common Sandvik cutlery steels os 12C27. Its good stuff, relativley comparable to 440A, with supposedly a little finer grain structure. Probally the reason that it is used the most is that it is one of the "better" cutlery stainless steels that can still be punched out in a blanking die, for high speed, low cost production. Other steels that most here consider "better", like ATS34, and BG42 are too "tough" to succesfully blank out in a die, therefore require laser cutting for production.

Therehave been times in the past when Sandvik steels have not been as readily availilbe as they seem to be now, and that is probally why you have not seen more of it in US production knives.

Happy Holidays!

A. G. Russell wrote somewhere that these Swedish steels are somewhat superior because of the extreme purity of the ore used in the smelting process. This might be responsible for the finer grain?

I'm no metallurgist, I just read the experts who post on BF.:)

Hello Coonskinner,

I think I read the same comments on the A.G. Russell website. Also, many of the Scandinavian knives are made from Sandvik steel, and the comments I read about the Scandinavian knives are always very favorable.

Live and LEARN!!!! How would I ever do this WITHOUT you!!!!:D
Will, Than you sir for that informative post. I picked up a Delta-Z prototype on BA, with Carbon Fiber handle material and the "sandvik" steel you mentioned. I was a little surprised that the open bid was $70.00, which I did place, and NO ONE else even touched this knife for six days. i just took delivery and it appears to be a NICE production piece. Delta-Z shows the same knife, BUT a TANTO for $199.99 retail. It "appears" that either someone "re-profiled" the blade or this is truely a "strange Delta-Z".
Thanks for the Help!!!!!............Ira:D ;)
( I posted a photo on the Delta-Z site, but NO ONE could help me)

Back