What is Sleipner steel similar to?

Does anyone know what steel Uddeholm Sleipner is similar to? It is supposed to be a tool steel and has the following alloys:

C 0.9
Si 0.9
Mn 0.5
Cr 7.8
Mo 2.5
V 0.5

I'm no expert on this so any info that is known or can be speculated from the alloy content would be greatly appreciated! I assume that with the chromium at only 7.8 that it will rust fairly easily. It would be great if someone could tell me what other steel this should behave like (stain resistance, toughness, etc). The knife is supposed to shoot for a rockwell hardness of 60-61 if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Ryan

HERE is an über-informative link to a datasheet pdf.

I read on another steel site that it can well replace D2, with reduced chipping risk.

I have seen that and also seen the reference to being similar to D2. I also don't see anything about it being a particle metal so I guess I was wrong about that.

Anyone else have any experience or thoughts on this steel?

Thanks!

looks like another ok steel nothing special - but take a look at the Uddeholm Vanadis 60 !!!!

Sleipner is one of 8% Chrome, Molybdenum carbides tool steel family.
This family is quite large, starts from less than 0,5% carbon, and ends at over 1,1% carbon.

Steel from this family has good response to secondary hardening, high stain resistance - chrome is dissolved in matrix, and higher toughness to wear resistance than "common" tools steels like D2.
It means that you get better toughness at desired hardness/wear resistance and vice versa.

For me it is near perfect knife steels.
You take 0,5%C type for 10 inch blade and 0,9%C type for 4 inch thin blade.

Does anyone know what steel Uddeholm Sleipner is similar to? It is supposed to be a tool steel and has the following alloys:

C 0.9
Si 0.9
Mn 0.5
Cr 7.8
Mo 2.5
V 0.5

I'm no expert on this so any info that is known or can be speculated from the alloy content would be greatly appreciated! I assume that with the chromium at only 7.8 that it will rust fairly easily. It would be great if someone could tell me what other steel this should behave like (stain resistance, toughness, etc). The knife is supposed to shoot for a rockwell hardness of 60-61 if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Ryan

http://www.uddeholm.com/files/PB_Uddeholm_sleipner_english.pdf

very good steel for knives, maybe little better than D2.

This is the steel used in the 2014 Blade Magazine Overall Knife of the Year. It was the CRKT Hi Jinx (Ken Onion design) made by Lion Steel.

It's kind of in a similar category to 3V and vasco/cruwear/PD#1/Z wear etc. A bit tougher than D2 and maybe a bit more wear resistant , near M2 fully hard ( rc 64-65) wear resistance wise. Everything from dies to industrial slitter knives.

Back