What is the best lubricant and/or rust inhibitor?

What is the best lubricant and/or rust inhibitor?

While 3 in 1 oil works alright for lubricating the pivots in folders, I suppose there are superior products available.

I've found some pages online evaluating several different products for rust inhibition for firearms, but wonder what the best stuff is for a folder's pivot. I'd especially like to know which product will produce the smoothest, longest lasting lube for a folder's pivot.

Eezox apparently was the best of the rust inhibiting products, better than Breakfree.

Given the various qualities of lubricants available, which one is the best overall?

What do you think?

http://www.super-lube.com/where-to-use-super-lube-ez-160.htm

Can Super Lube® be used as a protective coating?

Yes, parts and equipment coated with Super Lube® will be protected from moisture and corrosion. Super Lube® contains both anti-oxidants and rust inhibitors. You can also use Super Lube® Anti-Corrosion Gel to protect electrical plugs and disconnects.

You can find it at auto parts, sporting goods and hardware stores.
Both in grease and oil. Excellent product

Chris Reeve's flourinated grease is my favorite. it's a bit pricey but it's grease so I think it'll last longer than stuff like 3-in-1 oil, which is more or less what I used to use. the CRK grease has a bit more resistance, but I felt oils kind of made the knives seem too loose.

Chris Reeve's flourinated grease is my favorite. it's a bit pricey but it's grease so I think it'll last longer than stuff like 3-in-1 oil, which is more or less what I used to use. the CRK grease has a bit more resistance, but I felt oils kind of made the knives seem too loose.

Actually, I'd like the smoothest, slickest lubricant that will last and not break down easily. Is the resistance of the CRK grease markedly greater than 3-in-1?

I use Mil-Comm MC2500 on all my knives and guns. I live in FL and have never had rust on anything the stuff is great. I usually just buy the 2oz spray bottle.

Actually, I'd like the smoothest, slickest lubricant that will last and not break down easily. Is the resistance of the CRK grease markedly greater than 3-in-1?

no I don't think it is. I thnk the knives can still be deployed quickly if necessary, but i just won't feel loose, it'll be very smooth though. it's about $15 I think. it's thicker than oils so it'll definitely last long.

edit: has anyone ever tried dow33 or dow55 on their knives?

Birchwood Casey made a product called Sheath. The best rust preventative I've ever used.

I use Automotive Silicone. Dirt & grit will not stick to it . Nothing will stick to it.:thumbup:

I always thought of Breakfree CLP as a jack of all trades, but a master of none. I've got some right here, but I always use an oil or grease for lubricating

I got a gallon of it free, been using it for about 10 years and still have some left.
It's a great lube and rust inhibitor, not the greastest cleaner.

by far and I have used everything on firearms and blades is

Sentry Solutions tuff Glide and there other prouducts like there grease and bore coat are top notch

Apparently they make several products. Is there one in particular that you recommend?

http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-oil-with-ptfe-high-viscosity-ez-56.htm

The 51010 Oiler. Gets into tight places and works great on fishing reels.
It's impervious to saltwater, gasoline and is safe on everything.

http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-multipurpose-grease-ez-49.htm

This is the grease that I use for assisted opening cavities. Stays put and won't run or separate. 1/2oz tube is plenty.
Academy has both, I believe Dick's Sporting Goods has it too.

How does Super Lube® Aerosols compare to aerosol lubricants like WD-40?

Aerosol lubricants such as WD-40 and '4-way' sprays do not have anti-friction properties. Squeaks are only temporarily stopped because the spray wets the surface and then quickly evaporates. These sprays are good for releasing frozen nuts and bolts, but not for lubricating.

Super Lube® in the aerosol form, is a fully rated bearing grease, thinned temporarily with a solvent carrier, that cleans and penetrates, then completely evaporates, leaving behind a coating of grease that provides long lasting lubrication and corrosion protection. Super Lube® in the aerosol form is an excellent chain and open gear lubricant. Super Lube® will also release frozen nuts and bolts.

And no, I do not work for them. :)

I use sunflower oil (or any oil used for cooking really) for mine (keep in mind I am learning on the subject of knives, just heard from it from my pal which has some knowledge, hehe). That way I can use my knives to cut bread etc. withouth getting some serious stomach warfare. :)

Back