What is the bevel angle on a Scandinavian grind knife?

I'm not very familiar with "Scandi grind" but I have had several Rapala filet knives with a thin blade and great grind. Is this a Scandi grind?

I'm not very familiar with "Scandi grind" but I have had several Rapala filet knives with a thin blade and great grind. Is this a Scandi grind?
I don’t believe so.. I think they claim the steel as a Scandinavian which is similar to AEBL if I remember correctly... that blade is tapered so the steel thickness gets a little thinner the more towards the tip you go.. so pretty much a thin tapering steel with a cutting edge.

Im no expert but i find 11 degrees too much for Scandi . 13 - 15 degree is more durable if you gonna do hard use (batoning etc) , But if you will only slice, cut and carve, then 11 or 12 degree is ok.

what about a scandi grind on a D2 knife? with no power sharpening equipment?
Best bet is to get a sharp edge before Ht, then sand it back blunt just a touch. Risk cracking but it’s about the only way you can finish the bevel with no power tools. Unless you want to go through hours of labor and a crap ton of sandpaper..

Back