What is the difference between good jigging and bad jigging?

Couple others... the Schrade peachseed is legendary ;)
sccsej-1c-jpg.1125153

sccscout-2d-jpg.1125179

scouts-1e-jpg.1125183

uddsj-1b-jpg.1130210

casebs-1a-jpg.1125145

Good jigging just looks classy and adds to the overall beauty of a knife, and gives you a feeling of "that is cool." Bad jigging looks like no one put any effort into it, haphazardly done, or much like the ones in that GEC picture, just pressed into it, it takes away from the look of the knife.

I'm not a fan of Winterbottom Bobe or Corncob bone jigging. I like a random jigging like the old rogers bone.

As for GEC's jigging, some is great while others are underwhelming, too even and even too shallow.

I like the jigging on my 09 Esquires

I have an 06 Pemberton Blue jigged bone coming that time will tell. I love the color but time will tell about the jigging EDIT : I like the jigging, it's shallow and not the cleanest but it's nice ans it feels good.

DSCN0910.JPGMark Side Patina.JPG

Last edited:
GEC seems to try all sorts of different jigging. They are a bit more “artisanal” in that regard. Case has a great jigging figured out and they stick with it for the most part. I also get the sense that this was how most of the big cutlery factories of yore did it, finding one or just a few styles that worked for them, and then basically offering just that on all or most of their production.

Back