What is the difference between the Rolex Submariner and Sea-Dweller?

While perusing the Rolex website for fun, I came across both the Submariner and Sea-Dweller which look like approximately the same watch.

For all the Rolex experts out there: what is the difference between the two? Do you like/is one better than the other?

Also, what are some of the more reliable and "reasonably" priced websites to purchase Rolexes and other fine timepieces from?

Thanks all,

Bucky

Hi Bucky!

The Sea Dweler is a Sunmariner on steroids!

It lacks the cyclops for magnifying the date, is heftier and thicker than the sub and also has a unique gadget, which is on the lateral side of the case (at 9:00) a valve that is designed to allow Helium gases to escape from inside the watch at the time of emerging from the deep ocean...

Check www.timezone.com (for sale) for some rolex's for sale...

I hopw this help!

Regards,

Joel is quite right. The Sea-Dweller is a more heavy duty version of the Submariner which is certified water proof down to a depth of 4000 feet, whereas the Submariner is rated to a depth of 1000 feet.

Also as was mentioned, the Sea-Dweller features a helium escape valve. Be advised, however, that this feature is only useful for saturation divers. These individuals spend long amounts of time inbetween actual dives, at depth in diving bells. Due to the extreme ambient pressures within these diving bells, the divers breathe exotic gas mixtures which include high amounts of helium. The helium eventually seaps into the watch case, and were it not purged, would cause the watch to explode when ascending back to the surface. For your typical SCUBA diver, regardless of how deep he dives, the helium valve is a useless feature.

So, the bottom line is that the Sea-Dweller is definitely a very well made and very cool watch which benefits from its relative exclusivity. But the reality of the situation is that 99.99999% of the people on the planet would be equally well served by a Submariner.

Sorry, but I forgot to mention that Rolex strictly forbids its authorized dealers from selling new watches via the Internet. That having been said, there are reputable online dealers who sell quality used Rolexes, though it's imperative to know the reputation of those with whom you're dealing.

I have not dealt with them personally, but it's my understanding that Bernard Watches out of Austin, Texas enjoy an impeccable reputation within the pre-owned watch industry.

http://www.bernardwatch.com/

SD's are used by Comex divers and British SPAG. In other words, quite efficient tool watches used by the best in real world applications. While Subs tend to be found on the wrist of guys who associate the watch with the status of finally "making it"! Thats fine to, just not the same feel. Rolex = Resale, for many thats the bottom line :)

Dan

Back