What is the dumbest comment someone has made about your knife?

And this does not include "that's a weapon." I had my old roommate say to me when I was cutting some paper to check my edge after sharpening, "You know you're just re-dulling your knife when you do that right?" to which I responded, "Dude, you don't know the first thing about knives. You really think that you, the guy who doesn't carry nor know anything about blades would know more than me, the dude who collects knives?" (We were on very bad terms at that point in our lease, and I didn't really care for his commentary on something he knew nothing about).

So, what's the dumbest thing some know it all or ignorant person has told you about your knives?

Last edited:
Paper can wear down an edge over time, but the edge isn't going to fly off when you're testing it on paper.

I can't remember getting any dumb comments about knives. Most people look to me as a source of information about them.

when I was stropping my knife in cardboard (didn't have my leather strop at the time) and someone said "that's a fast way to dull the blade":rolleyes:

once i pulled out my SAK classic to trim a thread coming off of my jacket and the guy next to me said "jesus christ, hannibal lectre much?"

Is that illegal? Everytime I show anything at all to one guy at work he asks me that.
I guess he thinks I only like illegal knives.

"Is that thing even legal?!"

Comment made about a 3" bladed Mini Griptilian I pulled out to open a box for someone.

Last edited:
When working in a steakhouse kitchen during my teen years the owner caught me steeling the knives:

Him: "what are you doing?"

Me: "keeping them sharp"

Him:"Don't do that, someone might cut themself!"

"I have a good $5 knife that is good as that one." Says idiot postal worker as he saw my BG-42 Military.

I dont mind when people ask me dumb questions, because generally they are probably questions that I would ask if I wasn't interested in knives. it gives me a chance to chat to them about my hobby. I ask plenty of dumb questions myself about other peoples interests that I am ignorant of lol.

I dont mind when people ask me dumb questions, because generally they are probably questions that I would ask if I wasn't interested in knives. it gives me a chance to chat to them about my hobby. I ask plenty of dumb questions myself about other peoples interests that I am ignorant of lol.

Word. The only way to not be green is to ask questions and learn.:thumbup:

"Hey, can I borrow your knife?"

I have a strict "if you're not smart enough to bring a knife, you don't get to use mine" policy, unless it's someone trapped by their seatbelt in a car accident.

Anytime i've let someone use my knife, they either cut themselves horrifically by "testing it's sharpness" on their thumb or they decide it's time to do some concrete work with my folding knife.

I have a strict "if you're not smart enough to bring a knife, you don't get to use mine" policy, unless it's someone trapped by their seatbelt in a car accident.

Anytime i've let someone use my knife, they either cut themselves horrifically by "testing it's sharpness" on their thumb or they decide it's time to do some concrete work with my folding knife.

I had a nice Kershaw folder that I picked up as a bonus gift when I used to buy a ton of Snap-On tools. One of my idiot co-workers borrowed it and I forgot to ask the all-important question "why?" He snapped the blade in half trying to pry open a drawer that had gotten stuck on our desk. :mad:

picture1sf.png

Back