What is "The" KA-BAR Folding Knife?

OFFICIAL_KA-BAR

Throughout the history of KA-BAR/Union Cutlery/Tidioute, etc. what folding knife do you think of? The 1217 USMC Knife is the most associated fixed blade with KA-BAR; is their a folding knife equivalent? I have always liked the TL-29, but that was not an exclusive folder to KA-BAR. Thoughts?

Among folding knife collectors the most renowned knives from Union Cut Co are the famous dog's head folding knives. There are a dozen or so patterns that bear the famous dog's head shield and they are all premium knives with a very high collector's value. The KA-BAR "Grizzly" is another very sought after folding knife and has perhaps the highest value and desirability of all KA-BAR folders. The dog's head knives will be found with the early Union Cut Co markings as well as the KA-BAR marks. If there was one pattern to choose from I'd say the Grizzly may well be the most famous among antique knife collectors. The Grizzly is also one of the few types of folders that no other company made although Great Eastern Cutlery is now making a lower grade copy of the famous Grizzly.

The 1183 and 1184 have always been easy on my eyes. They just have a classic look about them.

I vote Grizzly, but love the 1199 the most Stag of Coarse
r7SoNY2.jpg

vxaxYkW.jpg

When someone says Kabar - the first thing that comes to mind is the 1217.
when they say "Kabar folder" - the firt thing that comes to mind is the Dozier series.
are they classic?
no.
are they low cost, good value/performance, and easy to find/carry/use?
yes.

I was referring to the original Grizzly, an innovative large switchblade knife introduced in 1926. It is the most sought after KA-BAR folding knife in existence. The ones Nuto shows are not the original type of Grizzly and are not famous like the original. Also was referring to the original dogs head knives, not those made in the last 30 years in KA-BAR's grasping at straws to recreate the quality and fame of their heyday before they had knives contract made by Queen and made in Japan.

I've got a KA-BAR TL29, it's neat. Don't really know much about the other historic folders. The new dogs heads don't do much for me visually although I love the materials. I'm always hoping for a new trad folder design that grabs me.

I agree with Gunsil.... that original Kabar Grizzly switchblade is the ONLY folder I really want in my collection. All other folders are just, well, folders to use when I use a folding knife.

I got to hold a Grizzly ONCE. A very well made knife with a good heft to it.

And the owner of it was watching it like a hawk the entire time it was out of his safe. :D

Sadly, I believe that the club knife shown by Nuto was actually made by Queen, not really a KA-BAR at all.

I always think of folding hunters. Dont know the model number.

Throughout the history of KA-BAR/Union Cutlery/Tidioute, etc. what folding knife do you think of? The 1217 USMC Knife is the most associated fixed blade with KA-BAR; is their a folding knife equivalent?...?
Figure just such a folder, would have to have to be a pattern of generic popularity
going back to some old long time fad like The Trapper Knife... Just saying.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/an-older-old-timer.980208/
But there are some fine contenders too no doubt about that!

Mike, I have no idea how any were made, I doubt if anybody does. Girly, I just read that link about the trappers and was appalled at Paul's dating. The "root beer" brown bone one shown with the KA-BAR shield with raised letters is not a post war model, it is an early pre-war model. The one he says was 1960-1970 has a model number on the blade so it was made after the company being purchased by Cole National in 1966.

Mike, actually the seven blade utility knife was more valuable than the Grizzly to collectors for a long time although now popularity I think has gone to the Grizzly. I have never scored well on knives at yard sales but did get my Grizz and seven blade at flea markets from knife sellers for very reasonable prices at the time.

That is one nice etch wazu!! Does it have Union Cutlery Co on the scaler blade?? I have one with the Zane Grey etch and an Abercronbie & Fitch etch also on the same blade. Of course I likely have six or seven variants of the T29, I do like me some old fish knives, especially KA-BARs. Looks like the red ink has been washed out of the T29 on the one you show. There is also the smaller T75 and I recently found a T49 which is larger than the T29 and the only T49 I have yet seen. Yes the quality back then was superb, but began to drop during and after WW2 on their folding knives, and has never regained the fine workmanship since.

That is one nice etch wazu!! Does it have Union Cutlery Co on the scaler blade?? I have one with the Zane Grey etch and an Abercronbie & Fitch etch also on the same blade. Of course I likely have six or seven variants of the T29, I do like me some old fish knives, especially KA-BARs. Looks like the red ink has been washed out of the T29 on the one you show. There is also the smaller T75 and I recently found a T49 which is larger than the T29 and the only T49 I have yet seen. Yes the quality back then was superb, but began to drop during and after WW2 on their folding knives, and has never regained the fine workmanship since.
I sold it so I can't check it and I don't remember if it had the Union Cutlery etch on the rear tang. Maybe Charlie will see this and let us know. I think he's a BF member?
Sorry.

Last edited:
Back