What is the limit when sharpening really low end cutlery

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
I carry knives like this on a semi-regular basis for a number of reasons. I usually don't carry just them, I am currently EDC'ing a U2 and some Byrds plus always have a Rucksack. The no-name work well for dirty/utility work, loaning to people, plus I find it amusing when people ask to see a knife when they know I "collect" them and I give them one like this :

liberty_china.jpg

The edge actually is fairly thin/acute compared to most current knives. It is ground 0.021 (2)" thick. The angle was the major problem because it actually went from about 25 per side at the choil to about 20 at the tip. It looked very nice, everything crisp and clean, but was horrible to sharpen and of course the initial sharpness was low.

The first work with the no-name was not promising. It could be sharpened to a shaving finish but it felt rough under the stone, which isn't that surprising considering the heat treatment is likely far from optimal. It was had persistant deformation burrs, soft stainless is bad, soft and chunky stainless is horrible. If you can sharpen that, then anything seems trivial in comparison.

I used an x-coarse DMT to regrind the edge to an even 21 degrees per side then lightly polished with the 600 DMT with no microbevel. I finished with five passes per side with the 600 DMT at a lightly elevated angle with just 1-2 mm of travel on the stone. This gave an edge which was about half as sharp as the similar "high end" high carbide stainless, on sharpness measured cutting light cord under 45 g of tension. It could push cut newsprint at about 1", and shaved, but not above the skin.

The knife could then cut 20 m of 1/8" riged cardboard against the ridges over 4 cm of edge. It would then start to have trouble slicing newsprint and would catch and slip in a few places but was still cutting the cardboard without tearing. I don't think this is optimal yet though, mainly from noting how it blunts early on it seems like the initial sharpness could be higher. I also need to benchmark the cardboard with another knife.

The main point I wanted to make is that these knives have a lot of potential and the performance is likely a lot higher than common perception. How many people would think that you could take one of these as stock with no extensive geometry modifications and make 100 slices through 1/8" ridged cardboard and still slice newprint. However you need to :

1) Regrind the edge to remove any poor quality steel and even the edge as the angle usually varies along the edge which makes it difficult to remove the burr. Note the primary grind is unlikely to be even so this will make the edge asymmetric in width along the bevel and from side to side.

2) Actually sharpen it well with a suitable grit. Don't settle for a crappy edge just because it is a crappy knife. It can be made to shave and pushed further. This will directly not only radically enhance the initial cutting ability but also the long term edge retention.

The performance will enhance as the angle is lowered (and made more coarse when slicing) as right now it is way too thick/obtuse to cut well, and that is something I want to check as well. I will eventually reduce it to a 5/10 profile and see how it performs there. It might also respond better to other abrasives than the DMT's. The edge is actually fractured in places under magnification during the x-coarse honing.

More work with the same knife :

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423552

-Cliff

Cliff: A lot of these cheapie folders (i.e., Frost Cutlery) can easily be taken apart. May I ask what your thoughts would be as to re heattreating the blade? Or is the metal too inferior to make the attempt worthwhile?

I've seen some broken Frost knives and the steel in cross section looks like a piece of slag. Really coarse grain and impurities in the metal you can see with the naked eye.

Yes the performance could be improved, however you would need to use multiple normalization cycles to make the grain uniform and the refine it and then reharden the knife. The cost of doing this would actually be more than another knife with a better heat treatment. It would likely only be worth it if you owned the equipment and did a bunch of them at a time.

-Cliff

Originally posted by Old CW4.

I've seen some broken Frost knives and the steel in cross section looks like a piece of slag. Really coarse grain and impurities in the metal you can see with the naked eye.][/

I've seen a lot of 'higher end' knives in my shop that had broken tips or blades that they broke and wanted replaced that looked much the same way. It isn't a higher end, but I just had a Buck Cabela 110 style knife in stainless here with a blade broke in half that I replaced with a regular Buck 110 blade out of one from a brass body that the owner of both bought at Wal Mart just for the blade. Can't say that the broken blade looked too great on the inside but in my experience not many do. It was obviously an old knife though and well used, so it was quite useable.

STR

STR said:
I've seen a lot of 'higher end' knives in my shop that had broken tips or blades that they broke and wanted replaced that looked much the same way.

Yes, likely why they broke. Stainless steel is fairly demanding to heat treat compared to the low carbon steels and unfortunately the inexpensive steels get inexpensive heat treatments.

-Cliff

Back