1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

What is the most unusual axe pattern that you own?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by cooperhill, Oct 10, 2012.

1. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Thought it be interesting to see some of the more rare and unusual axe patterns around.

This is mine. A hoosier pattern axe from Snow & Nealley:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    From another thread, the "Calabria" pattern (a couple companies in Italy still make this pattern).

Handle can be easily removed (like a tomahawk), but the head is tapered (without the bulging eye of a tomahawk).

3. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    I don't guess that I really have any Coop.
    I suppose that a Puget Sound pattern would be considered unusual to 'normal' folks that aren't axe nuts and have never seen one before :D

4. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I don't know what the little blue one is. It looks German to me. Only mark is weight in grams on head and [...]oss tm on the handle. Then I have a 6-pounder which I think is a Connecticut, weight and pattern both unusual around here.
    [​IMG]
    That's it 2cd from the left. It must be about 6 lb because it balances about in the middle when 6 lb barbell disc is hanging from handle end.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  5. Double Ott

Double Ott Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 3, 2011
    I'm going to have to beg off as a traditionalist....Like Bear, my Puget Sound and maybe a 5Lb Plumb Dayton are my only out of the norm axes. I have 130+ total so I'm pretty mainstream.

Tom

6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Same here. Cool axe and I still need to finish carving the hickory handle upgrade for it. If memory serves correctly Falci also makes a model with a hammer poll. Would make a great alternative to a 'hawk in the woods.

7. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    That is really cool. I should start to keep some of the axe heads that I find in fields. Most are just turn of the century though. I usually find them with a bit of rotted wood and square head nails in them.

8. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I think my most unusual axe patterns are my hewing tools. Most axes are made for chopping and/or splitting wood. These tools have a completely different purpose.

Central to my hewing tools is my broad axe. I've posted pictures here before but I'll repost one image for this thread.

[​IMG]

Another important hewing tool is my carpenters adze. This is an old True Temper with it's original handle. It's very handy for finishing a surface.

[​IMG]

One of my favorite hewing tools is my Stubai of Austria broad hatchet. I use it for hewing but it sees more use as a 'stump axe', a tool used atop the stump for shaping wood.

[​IMG]

It has a claw for extracting nails. It also has an offset handle and a slightly turned bit to save you from 'barking your knuckles' when hewing a timber. The cheeks are relatively thin.

[​IMG]

My most valued hewing tool is an old railroad broad hatchet that was recently gifted to me by my friend Operator. It's a True Temper Flint Edge with a Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Rail Road stamp. This railroad used to run through my home town of Maple Valley and the old rail bed has been converted into a regional trail (a rails-to-trails project). This is part of my small but growing collection of CMStP&P railroad tools. Eventually this collection will be donated to the local historical museum. I can't thank Operator enough for donating this to the collection. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  10. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    Nice write up Pegs!
    I'll keep my eyes open for tools with that stamp.
    You never know, something might show up around these parts ;)

11. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    Anything for you Pegs! It is going to a great collector, collection, and purpose. And besides, I love given axes away to put a good smile on guys faces.

12. Crazyotter

Crazyotter

Jun 26, 2010
    Hey Squarepeg,

search "vintage true temper kelly works brush axe with handle stamped CMSTP&PRR" on the flea bay. One just popped up.

13. Nixelplix

Nixelplix Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2003
    Some axes my Mom brought back from Pakistan in the 60's. Probably tourist pieces, but they have a nice surprise at the end of the handle! I think they're some type of battle axe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks for the tip, Crazy.

I actually have a CMSTP&PRR brush axe but it wouldn't hurt to have another.

[​IMG]

Almost forgot, I have a TT Kelly Works brush axe, too. But I don't have both stamps on one axe.

[​IMG]

15. Double Ott

Double Ott Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 3, 2011
  16. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I like the brush axes that Collins put out, too.

17. Crazyotter

Crazyotter

Jun 26, 2010
    Thanks FortyTwo! I forgot I jammed one under the seat of my father's truck, um, 6 months ago?

18. Ah Pook

Ah Pook

Dec 16, 2007
    Users

Beatty broad hewing axe
    [​IMG]

Does a pickaroon count?
    [​IMG]

Wall hangers
    [​IMG]

19. trailmaker

trailmaker