What is the single most important knife feature to you?

Is there one single feature on a knife that you tend focus on? For example, after looking at most of my knives, I have found that almost all of them have have either a finger notch for the index finger or some type of guard to keep the index finger from moving forward. I don't really recall thinking to myself, gosh I need some kind of guard for my finger. It just seems to have happened that way. I have also noticed that these knives tend to be very comfy as well as offering a secure grip.

Here's to being board at 1:45 AM.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Win if can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

[This message has been edited by Dirk (edited 01-05-2001).]

Not really a single feature, but I like knives designed around a specific function and is well thought out and executed.

A good knife can be like a good book, it shows you somthing you haven't thought about.

[This message has been edited by tallwingedgoat (edited 01-05-2001).]

For me it's blade geometry first (I love thin flat ground blades especially drop points), followed closely by handles shapes.

A butterfly mark!

... for my balisong choice. If you can tell my any better balisongs, I'm ready to learn from you!

------------------
(T_T) ...crying
\(^o^)/ ...cheerful
(ToT) ...crying
Mizutani Satoshi

Without being a smart***, SHARPNESS!
I don't care how it looks, feels, handles, smells, or what it costs, if it won't take a good edge.
Sharfe uber allem!

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

I like knives with blades...they seem to function better than any other knives I've seen.

The blade alloy and heat treatment are tops with me. I will reprofile points and edges if I have to. I will redo handles if I have to. There isn't anyway to put quality into a blade if it isn't in the materials and processing. I value alloys that I can get razor sharp a bit more than really hard alloys.

It's like with women I guess - some do it for you and some don't. Charisma. Not easy to define and not a really a single feature either.

I don't think I can properly answer this question. I look at the whole knife.

The blade steel matters to me. The look of the knife is important to me. Edge geometry is critical. Workmanship and overall quality is a major factor. Fit and finish is important, but not paramount. Lastly, I wait to see what my hand tells my eyes. Line, form, and function must all be in harmony with how the thing Feels in the hand.

If everything Feels right (not really a rational decision sometimes), I May buy the knife. But then a whole bunch of other economic and relative value criteria start to influence my thinking.

So my answer is: the single most important knife feature is a Gestalt. Everything matters.

Paracelsus, using funny German words

The more I learn, the more it changes. I used to just go for natural handle material, bone or stag. Now I would say it would be the steel used, I prefer carbon to stainless. Design is what it is. A bowie knife is not the best for general use. A butterfly knife is good for what it does but I would not want to carve with it. A mora knife is great for carving but I wouldn't want to chop with it. Design must meet it's intended function. I don't think there are any real "do it all" knives. I guess in the same way there is no "do it all" steel or handle material either. I just like knives, almost all knives. Any knife should be of good quailty materials and workmanship and perform what it is designed for. I guess that is what I look for.

Hi everyone, this is my first entry on this forum in many months, but this topic interests me. For me the most important feature is blade shape/style (ie clip point, drop point, spear etc)

I'm constantly searching for that blade shape that will suit me and my needs the best. I've tried most of them and find my newest acquisition is about the best so far: CKRT Mirage Grey Ghost Wharncliffe.

But its not quite perfect so the search continues.

------------------
Bill
"Walk softly and carry a big folder... and a small folder... and a SAK... and a multi-tool..."

My main interest is using knives so I start with the blade. If its a tanto I don't even need to look at the rest of the knife, same wiht hawkbills and a few others, They just won't wo what I need them to. If its the right profile and edge geometry and all then I take steel and heat treat into consideration along with ergonomics and the rest of the materials.

------------------
I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer... but I've got the sharpest knife in the room.

Back