What is this called?

AVigil

Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Platinum Member
I have Luke Swensons slip joint video and it is very good.

He uses what he calls a "carbide reamer" to taper the holes.
I can not find it with that name and was wondering if anyone knows the name that might be able to search for?

Thanks

GHJpbBQ.png

That image looks like a little engraver bit, not a reamer. Do you know what the angle or taper is? Most will be in degrees per side, but may be inches per foot, etc...

I've also heard where people will use a #2/0 or 3/0 taper pin reamer (for 1/8'' pins) or a #4/0 for 3/32 pins. I have no personal experience, so can't comment beyond speculation.

It looks to have 3 sides , a triangle

I never seen one, but I think I would take it to a machine shop supply store and see if anyone there knows, maybe Grainger?

That appears to be a carbide engravers burr. They are used in rotary sign engravers and for other things …. usually in plastic. Similar burrs are called tapered burrs and cone burrs ( depending on the degree of taper). I have seen them called tapered reamers, but that isn't a common name.

I talked to Luke Swenson, great guy, he is going to send me one in awhile once his move to Idaho is complete.

It is 3 sided and have not been able to find one anywhere. I have found one sided version but not a 3 sided one.

I am going to a large Industrial Hardware store tomorrow and see if they have one, it is the kind of place they have everything usually.

I have a regular tapered reamer for 1/8" pivots and it just seems to shallow to get the pins to hide consistently. I am going to start using 3/32" pivot instead of the 1/8". Suppose to be much easier to hide.

Bill DeShivis gave me some good info and I am going to take it and try some of it as well.

Back