What is your current favorite knife that you don't use and possibly can't even find but still like?

too much trans urethral estrogen input?

An Early Randall bowie type hunting knife I gave away to a kid in alaska thanking him for him and his dog help after a hunting trip. His knife was so old and THIN it was like a sharpened rod his great grand father had! The knife was given to me by an old man from the nusring home I worked at hearing I was an active hunter and such. Some guy in a suit showed up giving me the knife, one of his lawyer's associates right be for the great almost misadventure! He wanted his knives to be used not sold at auction after his passing, he wanted pics of it being used. So I did that. At the end of the trip I gave the knife to the kid who needed it more than I did. I took a few pics of the kid and the knife and when I got back, the old man loved them pics and glad i gave his knife a good working home. A few of his potential heirs hated him giving away "Their Inheritance!" and would of tried to coerce me in to "turning over the knife". The old man told me the look on his "potential heirs" faces was worth its weight in gold!

Man it was a great knife but I knew what the old man wanted for his knives. True every day users, that hunting trip taught me what he really wanted for them is why I gave the knife to the one I saw who had more need for I did at the time. I knew the old man would of wanted it that way...if I spent my own money on that hard to find even back then knife I would of kept it and gave the kid a few of my other tools.

^^^ Roguer, it's early in the morning, and yet I'm still betting the above is the best story I will hear today!

Last edited:
I have three but the first is my number one favorite that I never use.
  1. My Ka-Bar 1219. A friend bought if for me from the base he was on. I put a hair popping edge on it. Conditioned the leather handle and the sheath. Did the o-ring trick on it..... and now it sits in my drawer after only being used a couple of times. I still love it but it's more about getting it from a friend who actually served. As a practical user, It's too heavy for my style of hiking / backpacking. Too big for the small stuff around camp (food prep and misc camp chores). I find my Mora and smaller fixed blades (even my folders) a more usable and versatile size for that stuff. Larger camp duties are typically handled by a larger Ontario SP5. So my favorite knife simply never gets used.
  2. My Buck 119. I bought it new in 1990 or so. It sits in my kitchen junk drawer in perfect condition for the same reasons.
  3. Yet another is my USA made Schrade LB7 from the early 80's. The first knife I ever bought with my own money. I brought it back to life a number of years ago. It is sharp and tight and in perfect condition. It's just too heavy of a folder for a regular carry, IMO.

Back