What is your favorite handle material?

I second that cord-wrapping vote. People think that's just a wierd tactical thing, but I've wrapped and unwrapped just about every fixed blade I've ever owned at one time or another. This is especially good for people with big hands--I like it because normal size handles often turn in my hand and the cord wrap adds a lot of thickness.

If you want a fancier look, learn the Japanese style of wrapping with slightly flat cord, making diamond shaped openings through which you can see handle material. All you need is an original wrapped handle to copy and a little practice. I love the way this looks over wood or micarta.

For a fancy natural material, I love a crown stag handle with a hidden tang. This takes some work (and, boo hoo, means you have to go hunting every year
smile.gif
) but when you find a piece with the right curve it makes a beautiful and ergonomic handle. Also, you might be able to get some antlers at your local check station during deer season, if you can find a guy who doesn't want to mount his buck.

Back