what is your max throwing distance

That's realistically as far as you're likely to get with most zero-spin throws, for a variety of technical reasons.

Ralph Thorn's method can allow you to increase that distance quite a bit, but I'm generally not a fan of long-distance throws for tactical reasons.

I stick to the 15-18 foot distance.

For spin throws, it's been well past 20 feet.

I can sink a spike with no throws accuratly as far as 13ft. If I just have to hit a board, and it just has to stick, maybe 17-18ft.

Sinking knives, hatchets, etc. Is an entirely different matter. If I can up the force, control the spins, have good form, and have a good release, I can throw infinitly far. As of right now, probably 25ft accuratly and reliable. I don't practice spin throws often though.

it took me months and a good metal detector in high school when I threw everyday, but I got 34.5 feet into a pine tree in my back yard. Now I barely ever throw and suck ween, so like 12 feet one rotation

Used to be able to throw spikes real hard out to 20-25 paces, sticking them good about half the time. I made 14" spikes out of rebar and pointed them enough so they'd penetrate. I reckon I could've up'd the success rate quite a bit if I'd turned them into Ojo de Dios. I used to throw them at old wire spools, on rare occasions they would hit a bolt and throw a spark and deflect off something fierce. I really threw them about as hard as I could overhand and still hope to at least hit the spool face (about two feet diamter). I learned that if they didn't stick, at least they might hurt like hell from the impact. I don't think I'd ever resort to throwing a decent knife like that, unless it was meant to be done that way.

I got a good 10 pace shot with my 9inch bo shuriken i made last Sunday, but once I got to eleven paces it bounced back and stabbed me in the leg. Can't get it to stick in a piece of rotting wood but my own leg? hell yeah.

my new max throwing distance is 20 ft(no spin)
at 16 ft it was pretty easy but past that it got quite difficult but I finally got it the key was to let go sooner

So, how does one throw a traditional knife without causing spin? Is it with a thrusting motion like when throwing a dart? I've only ever thrown with spin. You all have severely perked my interested.

Back