What is your second favorite brand after Buck?

If Buck didn't exist I probably collect Spyderco knives, I think they make a great knife. I only like some of there designs though. Most I don't care for. I do EDC a Spyderco on occasion.

if I go by sheer volume of knives owned my second would be Schrade/Unkle Henry.......and those are all at least 10 years old or older :D

Leatherman for me. I usually carry a single blade Buck and a Leatherman tool these days.

I like German knives, specifically Boker brand and some companies that make knives through them. I like the traditional knives both Buck and Boker. Still Buck is by far my favorite brand. I also like some knives made in Spain as my third favorite. Man does not live by Buck alone although he just might be able to.

After buck it tends to be crkt and sometimes kershaw. I also like saks, and 70s era boker tree brand slipjoints. I also will carry a leatherman multitool.

I'm the same as mbjannusch, if I'm not EDC'ing a Buck, it's a Spyderco (and sometimes both) but only certain of their designs appeal to me. I'm hard pressed thinking of a Buck I don't like though.

There are many reputable makers, custom and production. And usually there is a model they have I like. But since this is the Buck area I will not name them, just like I would not do that in another's area.

After Buck, I find that I gravitate toward Queen for folding knives and BRKT for fixed blades. :)

Although.......if they made this with the Ivory Micarta handle........I might just have to place an order.

:)

sk6.jpg

I have only one other brand and its only one model,its a bladetech pro hunter extreme,and onlyt because it reminds me of how a 103 buck skinner works.LOL..

I don't carry anything but Bucks ,except while out fishing i carry a spyderco atlantic salt serrated blade,in emergencies you need a good rope cutter.Buck needs to make a line of serrated sheepsfoot blades for commercial fishing,lol

Thirty responses to this thread and Camillus got only one secondary mention. I'm surprised.
Being a big slippie fan, I'd have to go there I think.

I have several Mooremaker knives. Mooremaker is a relatively small knife/tool maker from Matador, Texas.

wildbillw
Life Member #1341

Well I have a TNT in my pocket collecting change in the open back...love that knife and have been carrying it exclusively for some time.
I really like several models from Spyderco, several Benchmades, a couple/few Zero Tolerance, the Kershaw Junkyard Dog, and a few misc old slip joints. Kind of been liking Vintage Western's & Queen/S&M of late.

The only non-Buck Fixed I have is a Bark River made Blackjack in A2, a Swamp Rat M6 I traded for, and my fathers Schrade/Walden Woodsman in Carbon steel from the 60's.

I'd guess that's not a lot compared to the many Buck knives I own, heck I don't even know how many off the top of my head.
Oh, I forgot; I have a Arno Bernard Custom from South Africa. Nice skinner.

All that said, I'm a Buck man first and foremost!

Buck is my first love. I still have lots of Buck-love. However... I have become the quintessential knife-slut. I may have more Benchmades now than Bucks... no duplication of Bucks, that's for sure. I also have Vic SAKs... no Buck dupes there, either. I have a few Case slippies - yawn... and some Boker Tree Brand CS classic slippies - nice. My favorite slippie? A Buck 301. Last year I, too, found out about Arno Bernard... Bohler N690 steel, giraffe bone handle, tapered full tang, cape buffalo sheath, handmade in South Africa - and a fair price. Nothing I've seen like them in Buck's line. I did add a second CRK folder last year - a plain small Sebenza... may be one too many for me (I like my Buck 172 Mayo TNT more!). I have some keepers from Kershaw/ZT, too - certainly, no dupes of Bucks.

I guess, given the question of a second place behind Buck, I'd have to answer...YES!

Stainz

Second would have to be old case & USA made schrades the Shark tooth is a good one, and the older schrades 1988 & older are easy to keep very sharp!!!!

i dont have a favorite brand overall, just favorite knives for differnt purposes....for classy hunting knives as well a gentleman's pocket knife, of course its a Buck.
for hard use fixed blades its BK&T, and for a do it all knife to compliment the others, a SAK Farmer.

Last edited:
I like the old Bucks best and the new Bucks would be my second favorite.

In some cases they do seem like a different brand due to different steels and different construction.

I'm on the same page. Old Marble's experts are also up there on my list. Good blade design, decent steel and the older stag handled ones are sure nice to look at.

If Schrade/Old Timer were still USA produced with that good ol 1095, they would give Buck a run for my money, I think. So I think the old USA-made Schrade OTs are a close second for me.

So why did they go bust? They were once made in the USA, so why? I have more Bucks than anything else, the 301 is my edc but I wish they made one as large as my Case Large Stockman.

I want it to be GEC but I'm putting twins thru college,cASE IS NICE BUT THERE DOING TO MUCH WITH THERE LINE OF KNIVES, case is going chinesse and the US line is losing quality..Sooo I'd have to say US made Schrades and Camillus...

Back