What Kelvin temperature/color for shop light bulbs?

Fwiw, I gave up on 8’ tubes a few years ago. Locally were never in stock & transporting 8’ tubes a hassle.
Gradually changing all out to LED nowdays.

In my experience, you can use any good lamp for your eyes, but you need to look the knife with different lights under different angles. Then, everything seems perfect you need to look the knife under the sunlight .... if there are small scratch the Sun will point them out.

I like sunlight color temps to see what I’m working on, 5k-6k.

I’ve worked in many operating rooms and this daylight/sunlight temp is what you’ll find in there.

Changed out 8 2x8' tube fixtures with 8' led bypass tubes from greenlightdepot. If I did it again, I would convert to 4' tubes with a kit, the wiring wouldn't be that much more. I didn't realize that the 8' led must have a center brace installed to prevent bulb sagging. That and FedEx does not like 8' packages, pretty surprised the lights worked. Shipping was very fast.

I put in 5k lights, no way I would go to 6k as I can detect a faint blueness in the 5k. 4k might be a good alternative. As to the light output, wow is all I can say. Stunnng. My fluorescent fixtures were pushing 20 years of old and I guess over time I just adapted to the decreased lighting performance. Just turning on one bank of 4 fixtures is much better lighter than all 8 of the old tubes. I used the 36W UL listed tubes.

Definitely glad I read these threads as I didn't know they existed. Also changed all my moms garage lights over. Such an upgrade.

The bad part, all day on a ladder and now I know I have some cleaning to do. :)

Not to toss a wrench into the works (or hijack this thread), but has anyone ever heard of potential problems with LED's from a health perspective? Came across this article recently and got me wondering... I'm not saying one way or the other, but looks like it may be at least worth considering:

How LED Lighting May Compromise Your Health

Yes, I've read some of those articles. Is there a concern - yes I do think so, BUT - the study from Harvard says "Last but not least, try to get at least 20 minutes of sunlight exposure everyday as this will ensure you have the near infra-red energy required to maintain a healthy metabolism. "
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side
That seems like it's an easy way to use LED lights and still stay healthy.

There have been several studies done over the last while showing using LED screens for a few hrs just before bedtime can disrupt sleep patterns. In fact, the space station has changed out some of their LED lights for different to help alleviate this problem.

Cause for "end of world" fears? Naw, but is something to be aware of and get the 20 minutes sun each day.

Back