What kind of situation would remind you to bring a right knife with you?

Kizer Cutlery

Follow us on Instagram: Kizer_inc
This week discussion is to talk about a situation that you thought another knife is much more better than the one you were carrying. What was that situation and what knife you thought is better if you brought that time?

Attachments

• kizercutlery_inc_93430255_227003575033608_6595554753084358839_n.jpg
    kizercutlery_inc_93430255_227003575033608_6595554753084358839_n.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 306
Not a very helpful answer, but:

I've had times where I needed to be especially brutal with a knife, with some light prying, contact against metal surface: stuff that will damage and make the knife make ugly,: but I only had a nice knife on me

I've learned my lesson, and now carry TWO knives

I've had times where I needed to be especially brutal with a knife, with some light prying, contact against metal surface: stuff that will damage and make the knife make ugly,: but I only had a nice knife on me

I think that's a fine answer. I think all of us have found ourselves in a spot where we were sporting nothing but a knife we wouldn't want to bugger up despite our "I bought it to use" montra. My 400 and 500 dollar knives can take any beating I would give my 40 and 50 dollar ones, but I'm not so rich or proud as to be totally OK with wailing on a nice knife if I don't have to.

Like yourself, I always carry a work knife along with my carry knife. In my case, my work knife happens to be a Leatherman that gets all the prying and scraping chores. Saves my better cutting knives for...well, cutting.

yeah, one good looking, one does the job, XD nice

I think that's a fine answer. I think all of us have found ourselves in a spot where we were sporting nothing but a knife we wouldn't want to bugger up despite our "I bought it to use" montra. My 400 and 500 dollar knives can take any beating I would give my 40 and 50 dollar ones, but I'm not so rich or proud as to be totally OK with wailing on a nice knife if I don't have to.

Like yourself, I always carry a work knife along with my carry knife. In my case, my work knife happens to be a Leatherman that gets all the prying and scraping chores. Saves my better cutting knives for...well, cutting.
haha, good one.

I've caught myself carrying a drop point when I'd have really preferred a wharncliffe for more utility and accuracy.
Sometimes I'll be cutting flex duct and really wish I had one of my serrated blades.

If I'm outdoors or just doing something casual, I usually have a medium or large knife. That's usually good. In theory, some people are squeamish and could be frightened by a larger knife. In reality, that just doesn't come up very often for me.

I usually carry a smaller "gentleman's knife" at church, around the office, or when I'm dressed up for formal events. That's when I occasionally miss having a bigger knife. For instance, if a random chore pops up where I need to cut something tough, having to apply force with a tiny handle isn't much fun. Smallness isn't the only issue. This category can also involve fancier or prettier knives. While a fancy knife with super steel might hold its edge longer against rougher materials, it can still take scratches from dirt or grit. I always have a harder-use, more work-appropriate beater in the car but it isn't always practical to run out and get it. This situation is rare but it does happen.

One possible fix is better ergonomics overall. I know hard edges and corners look cool. I'd much rather have rounded transitions with no corners or glaring hot spots. A stonewashed blade finish can hold up better. I'd also like to see more options under $80 with steels like 14C28N, VG-10, and N690. In that range, you can have nice things and not worry much about using them.

It seems like every time I carry one of my single blade knives I find myself needing a screwdriver, or a metal file, or tweezers, or scissors. That's when I wish I had my multi-tool or SAK with me.
So I started carry my Buck 110 and a SAK....but then I thought for that amount of weight I could carry a Leatherman Wave.
Besides, my Buck 110's are all so beautiful that I do baby them.

All three times the jaws of my leatherman snapped mid use. I actually don’t carry a multi tool anymore due to lack of trust. Sog and Gerber didn’t make it more than a week...

I would love a real plier, knife and screwdriver combo for work. Something that can take daily use vs emergency in an industrial environment.

So far this month I have notched some Rex 45 and snapped D2. That was in quarantine lol.

Flipping a car on the highway. Waking up stuck in your seat belt upside down. Puddle of gasoline beneath you inches closer to a fire 20 yards away. You reach for your trusty EDC to cut the belt. You forgot your knife at home that morning.

Flipping a car on the highway. Waking up stuck in your seat belt upside down. Puddle of gasoline beneath you inches closer to a fire 20 yards away. You reach for your trusty EDC to cut the belt. You forgot your knife at home that morning.
You frantically begin to gnaw at the seatbelt with your teeth.
* *OMmMmM nOmMmMm nOmMmmMmmMm!* *

I typically bring a folding hunter or traditional folder when camping. After an incident when I needed to re-enforce my tent in a storm (by using available wood), I will never go camping again without packing a hatchet.

I am a firm believer in right tool for the right job, so I love to bring along my fixed blade, hatchet and folding saw whenever I go camping.

But for EDC purpose, I love carrying a SAK, it basically covers all my daily tool needs most of the time.

I follow the rule of 2=1, 1=none. Therefore, I always carry at least two different types of knives. When I go on a road trip, I pack about a half dozen different knives. Don't even ask me how many flashlights and spare batteries I carry!

Back