What knife should I buy

Eli Chaps

Gold Member
A Buck 55 or 503 will serve you extremely well for many, many years.

hornetguy

Gold Member
View attachment 1294759
I've been involved in scouting for more than 60 years. My son is an Eagle Scout and OA Chieftan. You can't go wrong with a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (SAK). Get a Pioneer X. Should fit your budget. Very high level of quality. A knife that is rust free (You can get it wet with no problems what-so-ever). Easy to keep sharp and it can do almost anything you need to do. It also has a nice lanyard ring on it. Perfect for anything you want including scouting.

fi8Ru5d.jpg
I agree with this. For scouting, this would likely be the best choice. I got a couple of Swiss Army knives a while back, and I was pleasantly surprised at their quality, and at the very good edge that the knife blade would take. It would be difficult to find a better knife for scouting. I mistakenly thought you wanted a single blade knife..
In fact, if you look back at all the camp/scout knives from past years, you will see that the knife onebigbill recommended is equipped almost exactly the same way. A bottle opener is good, as are the scissors. The punch comes in handy for a surprising number of things.
Good luck with your choice....

Search Spyderco ClipiTool™ Standard™. Right at your price. It's really a modern take on the traditional scout knife.

View attachment 1294759
I've been involved in scouting for more than 60 years. My son is an Eagle Scout and OA Chieftan. You can't go wrong with a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (SAK). Get a Pioneer X. Should fit your budget. Very high level of quality. A knife that is rust free (You can get it wet with no problems what-so-ever). Easy to keep sharp and it can do almost anything you need to do. It also has a nice lanyard ring on it. Perfect for anything you want including scouting.

fi8Ru5d.jpg

Could not agree with this more!

A basic alox SAK like the Victorinox pioneer, farmer, X, would b e a perfect pocket knife for any scout. I was in the scouts at age 12 and my dad gave me a Camillus scout knife, and that knife set the tone for the rest of my life. When I joined the army after high school, the army issued me a Camillus all steel scout knife. When I was stationed in Germany, I got my first Swiss Army knife.

Now I'm an old fart and many many knives have come and gone in my knife nut obsession. But the basic scout knife pattern was the most used, and the most useful I ever had. A single blade knife is just a one trick pony, but a SAK is a small bundle of blades and tools that let you deal with those little problems that life likes to throw in your way. With a basic SAK, I've fixed things out in the middle of nowhere, and they make a decent cutting tool to boot. Nice thin blades that sharpen up shaving sharp on the bottom of a coffee mug.

You really can't go wrong with a Victorinox SAK.

JohnDF

Gold Member
The combo of a Swiss Army Knife and Lockback knife is perfect.
That's exactly what I bought my boys when they entered Scouting and they served them well.

meako

Gold Member
If you can get a Vic German Army Knife from a disposal store or ebuy...you wont regret it...plus you get some change out of 60 bux.....meanwhile if you PM me with your mailing address I ll send you a used SAK in good nick from my heap.And you can keep your money for other things...Im surprised none of these other tightwads have offered :p:D
Cheers.
Be Prepared.:thumbsup:
+1 for multitool..Gerber or Leatherman...but $$$ ...look for used.

I agree with jackknife about the scoutknife. A very useful knife and my constant companion on scout trips. I notice one of the current scout knives is a tinker with the BSA logo. Tinker is a great knife and will serve you well. For what it's worth scouting is where my interest in knives started and you may add others as you go

chuck4570

Gold Member
If you can get a Vic German Army Knife from a disposal store or ebuy...you wont regret it...plus you get some change out of 60 bux.....meanwhile if you PM me with your mailing address I ll send you a used SAK in good nick from my heap.And you can keep your money for other things...Im surprised none of these other tightwads have offered :p:D
Cheers.
Be Prepared.:thumbsup:
+1 for multitool..Gerber or Leatherman...but $$$ ...look for used.
Thought about it but wouldn’t do it without parental approval

Reactions: 315

waverave

The GEC Database, Photoshop and Tortoise Shell Guy
Platinum Member
My first reaction is to send this young man a knife! :) But I wouldn't even consider it without communicating with the parents.

Otherwise, I recommend what many others have already...an SAK and/or a Buck. Even a good ol' Boy Scout knife would be an excellent choice (there is a reason they have been used for so many years) but the SAK Pioneer is pretty much the modern equivalent (with better steel and much slimmer).

Gold Member

hornetguy

Gold Member
I agree ..that would be the main aim of the pm...:thumbsup:...my youngest son is 16......

Sorry I called you tightwads....Skinflints has a much more distinguished air. :p
I'm really glad to see you taking the high road, meako... had me worried there for a bit...:D

hornetguy

Gold Member
I am getting the buck 112 slim thanks to everyone who replied, helping me get a long-lasting knife
Congratulations, Daniel.... Buck makes a really nice knife. Now comes the fun part... learning how to sharpen it well... :thumbsup:

afishhunter

Basic Member
Used:
Camillis "Demo" knife.
Ulster Official BSA

New:
Marbles MR278 (identical to the Demo knife, but maybe 1/16 inch shorter closed)

If you get the Marbles, do NOT get it with the Spork, Match Safe, Compass, or other accessory.
All 4 blades will be half open of you do, for "display purposes".
There is a 99.9% chance at least one back spring will be broken, when you open the hang-pack packaging.
I was unaware they came that way when I bought one with the Spork.
I was not surprised it had a broken back spring. I was surprised it did not have two broken backsprings.

SAK Recruit

Buck 110 (if you are permitted a locking blade.) Either a standard production with brass bolsters, or the LT.
Due to physical size (5 inch closed) you will want to carry either on your belt.
The brass bolster at 7.4 ounces is a little much for pocket carry. On your belt, you won't notice it.

Opinel number 7; 8; or 9. These have a ring lock to lock the blade open or closed.

Fixed Blade:
Mora 511 or 612, presuming a guard is required.
If you can get by without a guard, the Mora Number 1 or number 2.

With your budget, you could get the Marbles MR278 (or the SAK) and a Mora, and still have enough left over for a six pack of your favorite soda - in two liter bottles, and a candy bar or two. :)