1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What knives would you include on an all-time landmark/watershed knife list?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SanLuisObispo, Nov 17, 2020.

1. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    And yet the M4 bayonet was?
    If any of the M4 series qualifies as watershed or turning point, the M3 certainly should not be ignored.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    E.D.C. likes this.
  2. pvicenzi

pvicenzi Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Great suggestions. I would have to add the original Gerber Paul knife as they were amongst the first to make a custom quality knife in a production setting. The same could be said for the Puma Aristocrat series in the late seventies.

sabre cat likes this.
  3. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you for simplifying the process of disregarding any knife-take you have in the future. Usually clone-lovers are a bit more...complicated. Bravo to you for keep it very, very simple.

craytab and SanLuisObispo like this.
  4. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Buck 110
    Stockman
    USMC KaBar
    Bowie
    The DH Russell Canadian Belt knife
    CS Gurkha Kukri (they didn’t invent the Kukri by they brought it to another dimension)

old hippy likes this.
  5. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    F/S dagger.

sabre cat, GIRLYmann and Danke42 like this.
  6. spoonrobot

spoonrobot

May 1, 2004
    I do not love clones. Whether you like them or not, high quality Chinese knock-off knives were watershed moment for the industry. They have completely changed the landscape in major, and long lasting ways. Chinese companies are now directly importing S35VN and other high quality steels and producing titanium framelocks that rival domestic makers (who sell for $700+) in the $100-$300 price range and selling them well. To say nothing of their complete take-over and destruction of the lower price tiers, as well as counterfeits that are contaminating the entire purchasing chain.

Post up your own list, I bet if you were honest it would have some Ganzos on it as well. You would definitely have a different perspective for them, having bought quite a few while I've never actually purchased one.

It's sad to see fanboyism hasn't died and is raging full steam ahead. Stay in my mentions boys, I love to see you.

7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Hey maybe you didn't understand the question. Maybe I can simplify it for you.

The question is about landmark "knives" so by default those knives are only a mark the first time they're made. Not when they IP is stolen and reproduced. I'm glad we could clear that up

What you want to do is star a new thread called something like "Scummy get rich quick schemes ask me how" You'll get about 2 other posters from this thread gloming onto you and you can have some kind of circular party. I'm glad I was able to clear that up too.

If that's still too hard to understand keep posting how much you like stolen IP and how groundbreaking white collar crime is.

8. Silent H

Silent H

Feb 1, 2018
    I haven't seen any ganzos selling for anywhere near that much, and there's definitely not any with S35VN or titanium out there, no matter what they print on the blade or box.

It seems like you're confusing reputable Chinese companies such as Kizer, WE/Civivi, and Reate with scumbag cloners like ganzo. Those companies I mention actually add to and participate in the community, rather than just steal from the community like ganzo and others do.

Hackenslash and Lee D like this.
  9. spoonrobot

spoonrobot

May 1, 2004
    I must not be explaining myself correctly. For many users Chinese knives had always been garbage, then around 2014 Ganzo hit the market in a big way. Suddenly a lot of users were seeing Chinese knives that were pretty good so they start looking around on Aliexpress or DHgate or whatever. They see a lot of clones for shockingly low prices that may be questionable steel (but still probably ok as Ganzo demonstrated) but are real titanium and real ceramic bearings. Then they see "real" Chinese brands that are probably using real D2/S30V/S35VN/3V and Ti but are priced quite a bit below the same feature set a non-Chinese knife. These users often completely leave the domestic market and buy exclusively from Chinese sites and Chinese brands. I meet them, I talk to them, and I sharpen their knives. There are a ton of them out there now and the market that serves such users is only expanding.

It's a massive loss to the knife community and a drain on the industry. More sales means more Chinese capital development and more of a squeeze on non-Chinese manufacturers, designers and custom makers. I picked one Ganzo that I felt was emblematic of the landmark "past this point China starts having a tangible adverse effect on the knife industry," you can hate on my choice, but I'm not wrong.

Honestly, thanks for replying but I'm going to have to say - Huh? Did you even read my post?

10. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Guess not huh?

11. spoonrobot

spoonrobot

May 1, 2004
    I saw that little red bubble with such a big number I couldn't resist :D

I'm also curious to see if anyone can post a list more comprehensive and well thought out than my own. No one's come close, yet. I know there's a least a few old heads that could do it but I doubt they'll take the bait.

Man, I miss Blackie Collins. He's probably way underrepresented in the industry as he did a lot of firsts that didn't prove very popular until a different maker made them. I had a lot of his knives growing up and they had a unique style that just isn't around much anymore.

GIRLYmann likes this.
  12. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    I have to agree with this.

However, if the OP had ask about iconic timelines in the knife industry, then Ganzo producing clones would be relevant.

Has Ganzo ever designed a knife on their own and put the knife industry on its ear?

I think not.

Lesknife likes this.
  13. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Hey, at least you are consistent, at getting things wrong. Not a lot of ganzos being sold in nearly every big box store across the US. Plenty of Kershaw, Buck, Gerber, SOG, and CRKT though...

Chinese knives in the US market did not start with Ganzo, they were here under reputable brands far longer and they are still way more available than from your trash cloner sites.

Seems you missed the point of this thread. Rather, you are using it as an opportunity to trash what you don't like and throw out ridiculous opinions. Have fun with that! I'm out.

Cursum Perficio, Lee D and Eli Chaps like this.
  14. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Oh well, gee, I guess I failed to realize the brilliance of your list. :rolleyes:

Again, the idea was your opinions of knives that made a difference. People posted those. Everyone was doing good with that.

Lee D and craytab like this.
  15. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Rather fond of my Cold Steel Recon 1 as an all-around work knife, although a solid argument can be made for the beautiful simplicity of the American Lawman too. Lots of CS guys EDC the Lawman.

sabre cat likes this.
  16. Hal

Hal

Feb 26, 1999
    Watershed/game changer/whatever you want to call it....

Not one specific knife, but, the whole host of "Italian" switchblades - regardless of the place of origin. The ones pictured in such Hollywood hype as Rebel W/out a Cause, The Blackboard Jungle, etc.
    Those movies did for the knife world, what Reefer Madness did for the hemp world.

W/out the hype generated by them, we could almost all enjoy using a solid one hand operating knife.

17. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    I would never use one but, that is one sexy looking knife, IMHO.

So is that Gerber dagger. The one with the hourglass blade. What is it called? Mark ll?

18. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Hey, are we including swords in this thread?

19. farmer ted

farmer ted

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

sabre cat and Eli Chaps like this.
  20. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Yeah, that certainly started a trend.

When I was in uniform, that was the big thing with some of the combat engineers. Big knives that weighed a ton. All because of some movie. I never really understood why the appeal but even I considered a big useless knife with a hollow handle. More than once. Think goodness I came to my senses.